Fly Tying
green

good places to buy fly tying materials

Your first choice should be local shops where you can see and handle the material. Any craft or dolla store are good to. But it depends a lot on what you are buying. A whiting hackle, from a reputable on line surce, is still whiting hackle. Same with hoo brands and most of you tools and supplies. It's the hair and various feathers that you really want to see. That may be tough depending where you live. When I can, I try to buy full skins of smaller animals, like fom coffin furs. I can see the picture and can pick what I want to use for the application.

Caddisflyshop has free shipping over $25

Performanceflies has a lot of euro stuff you can't find anywhere else, but you pay to ship.

RipLipsFishing has cheap tungsten beads.

I go to Allen for almost all my hooks.

I just started tying and have ordered from three or four different sites. I like J Stockard because of their Frequent Flyer rewards program.

I prefer to shop in local store to check the quality of feather and hair. here in Montreal the Orvis shop Salmo nature boutique is the place. For some stuff dollorama can be good for some items.I like to try product that are not make for fly tying to see what can be done with!

I just gave both Labs a bath today and when i do they immediately shed when I get them dry. I got out my brush and have a pile of the softest underfur,kind of yellow with a reddish tint to it. Plus I have to very happy dogs.

I am all for supporting the local shop and of course the one here.

Here is something I found today, not sure how well it works, but it loooks very interesting.

http://www.dhgate.com/18-mixed-10-colors-synthetic-rooster-grizzly/p-ff80808138bd39080138d82d2b5f038b.html#s1-3-1

I found this one as I have always been looking for reindeer hide patches which I got a few years back in the Vancouver area.

They also have quite a wide ranging product line including reindeer and anything else that moves including rabbit strips for tying purposes .http://www.chichesterinc.com/

As much as I like to support the shops, I also always look for a bargain. The reindeer which if you have never spun with is first rate and because it comes from Finland, it will be hollow. a pound of scraps goes for 40$, but these are fully tanned pieces that are leftovers.

Marc

I buy stuff from the local shop. But I've had great results from Hook & Hackle company. I also got a nice stock pile of good hooks from Green Caddis.

No local shops, I just started tying and got my stuff fro ebay. One dealer, parkers flies seems to be good but I don't trust a lot of the necks and saddles, I don't realy know what I am getting. I did get one saddle clump that seems ok

Some of the stuff you get from ebay can be crap, make sure you check their reviews and ratings before ever buying saddles and capes, pics can be very deceiving, and so can the sellers. If they don't offer returns, don't buy from them. If they can't handle a return, then they probably aren't anyone you would want to purchase from, other than that, the list of online stores is huge, just make sure to shop around and check prices. It can also help to ask here for a referal for certain items, this forum has some pretty great bargain shoppers that aren't afraid to share sources.

Blane

i honestly get alot of my tying materials at craft stores. They got all kids of feathers and craft fure. Just today i was at Michaels and got some nice stuff. I got some really nice marabou in different colors, some craft fure, a a few peacock feathers and this garden decoration that was made of different goose biots. You never know what you will find when it comes to craft stores. wink.png

I do similar...got a 12 pack of small diameter Colored "Bead Wire" @ WallyWorld for $5

Makes great Nymph Ribbing ;)

I'm all for supporting local shops... that is... until I moved somewhere without a fly shop in sight a few years ago. In Northern California I'd make a trip to Redding and visit the Fly Shop a couple times a year. It's probably the best shop and best group of guys in the state. They're a great mailorder company as well. Feather-Craft is a great resource, although they've been shy on a few things I've needed lately. In Arkansas the Ozark Angler in Heeber Springs and Little Rock and McClellans Fly Shop in Fayetteville are excellent shops with great people.
As far as nowadays, I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, but the retailers I hit most online are Feather-Craft, JStockard, and ChiFly (Chicago Flyfishing Outfitters.) I get some of my rod building stuff from Hook and Hackle but never really messed with them for Fly Tying.
For rubber leg material, I get most of it from Fishingskirts.com. Rubber legs are the same as spinnerbait/jig skirt material and you can buy it from them in literally hundreds of colors and patterns, for quite a bit less than the stuff packaged by HareLine or Wapsi.