Fly Tying
KA3MTT

Looking for Caddis vid

A few years ago, I watched a video of a "guest" in a museum (maybe????). He was a gentleman who put a spin on a caddis (deer or elk). It had a single flat wing and I believe it was reversed back towards the hook. He also put legs underneath this wing. I've been trying to find this, and I am going nuts.

I know this isn't a ton of information, but if anyone knows about the gentleman or the video, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Nathan

Nathan, Welcome FTF.

I'm not sure about the video you're looking for. I did some searching for reverse hackle wings and found this. They call these Wonder wings.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-tying-patterns-step-step/250295-reverse-hackle-hawthorn.html

Is this the style of wing you are referring to? If it is you could just put a thin dubbed body on the hook, then add your legs

and the reverse hackle wing over top.

I did some more searching and found these two You Tube videos. They're both for stone flies but they could also be used as a caddis.

Phillip White has a pattern that is called the Resting Caddis. I'm fairly sure it is featured on the Tying the White way videos, but can't find it on line. It sounds a lot like what you are describing.

The deer hair wing is tied in forward of the hook eye. The body dubbed and a hackle wound over the thorax area. The thread is left at the hook bend of the hackle. The hackle trimmed above and below the hook shank and the wing folded over and tied down behind the hackle. Then whip finished there, not at the head.

In a short while I'll be at the bench I'll tie one up and post a pic.

Cheers,

C.

Thank you flytyer56 and Crackaig. I appreciate your time in trying to help me. The single wing actually looks more like a hang glider would look. It helps to keep it above or on top of the water for a long time.

It is really driving me crazy - it's been on the tip of my tongue for weeks now! I seem to remember the gentleman keeping all of his tools arranged on a deer antler rack that was really neat looking. It had a crazy catchy name with caddis at the end of it. I guess not catchy enough!

I'll keep researching and if I do end up finding it, I'll post it for you guys.

Have a great Sunday!

As promised here's a quick roug and ready shot of what I was talking about.

RestingCaddis_0002_zps4420307f.jpg

Its very difficult. It sounded just right until you added more details. Now I'm not so sure.

Cheers,

C.

Thank you flytyer56 and Crackaig. I appreciate your time in trying to help me. The single wing actually looks more like a hang glider would look. It helps to keep it above or on top of the water for a long time.

It is really driving me crazy - it's been on the tip of my tongue for weeks now! I seem to remember the gentleman keeping all of his tools arranged on a deer antler rack that was really neat looking. It had a crazy catchy name with caddis at the end of it. I guess not catchy enough!

I'll keep researching and if I do end up finding it, I'll post it for you guys.

Have a great Sunday!

Where did you see him? what part of the country? what decade?

I saw the video about 2-3 years ago and I believe he was being recorded somewhere in the mid-west. I think he was recorded in the early to mid 2000's.

I finally found one of the flies I'm looking to make for examples.

Please remember: I'm EXTREMELY green at this, and this was my first attempt years ago at making this fly. In fact...I'm green at MOST aspects of fly fishing and tying...but...I'm learning.

Anyway, there is a piece of light colored yarn under the wing to look like an egg sack. Also, the wing section is SUPPOSED to be flat on top. Obviously I did a terrible job at this one. The problem is I need a video to remind me of how I got to this since I'm so new to this aspect of fishing.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd love to hear them or see them. I appreciate any help.

post-23603-0-38999900-1363365074_thumb.jpg

post-23603-0-89499500-1363365086_thumb.jpg

post-23603-0-36835600-1363365094_thumb.jpg