Fly Tying
imx

umpqua hooks

always been a tiemco guy but the local shop has a hard time getting them through spirit river, anyways what are you thoughts on em?

My Tiemco hooks, that I've been getting at Cabelas & Bass Pro, have been distributed by Umpqua, and are marked with an Umpqua overlabel on a Tiemco marked pkg.. As far as I am concerned they are one and the same.

Bill

Duller finish and not as fine of a point. They are Umpquas attempt to do better in the less expensive hook market.

As explained to me on another forum.

"Umpqua are the US distributors for Tiemco hooks, but Umpqua does not own Tiemco. They are, of course, a very important Tiemco customer - and in turn Tiemco hooks are a very important part of Umpqua's product line. Umpqua have absolutely no interest in jeopardising their relationship with Tiemco by carrying a second hook line which directly competes.

The Tiemco hooks are manufactured in Japan. The U series of hooks are manufactured in South Korea. The U series of hooks replicates some of the Tiemco models, and they are sound enough hooks. They do not have quite the quality of finish which the Tiemco hooks have - but then they also sell for considerably less, as you have stated."

I've always tied on Tiemco hooks but bought done umpqua hooks to tie some large mice on for a night trip. The quality is definitely not the same. I had hooks that bent from thread pressure alone. I was really surprised. It was only 2 or 3 but that's still to many to me.

Jeremy