Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Suggested reading

SD....get in touch with Will off site...he man have some info you want concerning the CD/ROM....tell him I sent you wink.gif

Here's what is on my shelf:

Wet Flies by Dave Hughes

Cripples and Spinners by Kelly Galloup and Bob Linseman

Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout by Galloup and Linseman

Fly Fishers Guide to Michigan by Jim Bedford

Mayflies Top to Bottom by Shane Stalcup

Hatches II by Caucci and Nastasi

Selective Trout by Swisher and Richards

Not all are about tying but necessary to the sport in one way or another. I have a few others laying around but they're more specific to me than most everyone else.

BD, not really, just proud of it!

They're some real good patterns in those books & many can be adapted to other species! wink.gif

Dornug i think you have been lookin at MY bookshelf wink.gif All great suggestion bud and i think i have just about worn out my copy of Modern streamers!

Thanks for adding to the list guys....all great books.

SD

I'm sure all of Michigan has most of these on their shelves if they fly fish. My Streamers book got a work out but I got into dry's and wets this year and didn't fish them as often as I usually do so the book will last a little while longer. Mooning-Smilie.gif

Although I love my Benchside reference I really learned what I know from the following books:

Number 1 in my mind although not alot of writing is Helen Shaws "Fly Tying" the photo's in this book are amazing and really stress the individual steps to making durable flies, this is a book that I have recommended to everyone. She has another book entitled Flies for fish and fisherman, all about wet flies I'm working on getting this one.

Eric Leisers books:

Complete Book on Fly Tying

Fly tying Materials their Procurement use and storage

His book on the Dette's and also

The Caddis and the Angler (has lot's of photo's)

All of Ray Bergmans Books, the fly plates of all the old flies are worth the price alone and the information while old is still relevant, and his writing style makes it just plain fun to read his books.

The Bench Side Reference

The internet, here's an address I posted before but it will help move it up http://regional.cbel.com/fly_fishing/

Tight Lines,

Fatman

I think the benchside reference is brilliant, but I would urge anyone who fishes for Trout to pick up Mayflies by Knopp and Cormier. The amount of information on each mayfly is amazing. I am also a fan of A.K. Best's books, especially Production Fly Tying. Even if you plan on never tying commercially, there are some great tips in the book. I was just reissued recently and should be easy to find.

Todder i was serious eyeballin that "production" book but figured it wasnt quite what i would need since i have enough trouble tying one fly wink.gif but i will have to give it another look.

SD