Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Carp on fly video

I took a virgin carp fishing friend out today to give him a shot. He fished for a good hour with me guiding him at his side; Luke had about 20 - 30 shots but only two takes that he missed the hookset on. When I suggested I change his fly, he suggested I give it a shot, on my second fish, I lucked out and got a take and the hookset stuck. Here is a link to Luke's blog where he posted the two minute video.

http://nolafly.com/urban-fly-fishing-for-carp/

Kirk

Thanks Riffle, Luke used this Canon camera he has to take the video. Its pretty short and doesn't have footage of a take or the fish in the shallows, it was pretty muddy but I like that it shows where I'm fishing and the cars you can hear running by. We did get a few wise cracks from passersby but I'm getting used to it after three years of fishing this environment.

Kirk

Piker, it was grown over pretty good so I think it may have happened when it was a baby. They don't have any really big predator fish in that shallow canal.

Phish, I was thinking that when I grabbed it from the shed and especially when I went to land that fish. Don't think it would do much good with the larger carp that are in there.

Thanks Jeff, I like the orange on the tail, it helps me track where the fly is and I think it helps the fish find it. I do want to make some in black though for when they shy away from the orange.

Kirk