Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

"take a nap yarn" - some caddis patterns with this yarn :-) :-

My good friend Staffan Lindstrøm came up with a new yarn the other day that he named "take a nap yarn" :-) :-) :-)

Staffan is a master in finding fly tying materials where you would not think of looking :-)

This yarn is quite glossy and will work well as body in caddis flies and probably also in flies that fish under the water surface :-)

Here are a few i made tonight with this new yarn that Staffan found in an old carpet :-) :-) :-) :-)

"TAKE A NAP YARN" WOVEN CADDIS EMERGER WITH SNOWSHOE RABBIT LOOP WING :-)

8704664821_9d126ba231_b.jpg

"TAKE A NAP YARN" CADDIS EMERGER FROM UNDERNEATH :-)

8704663589_de6257f4ed_c.jpg

"TAKE A NAP YARN" CADDIS WITH SNOWSHOE RABBIT WINGS AND HACKLE :-) .... BODY FROM TO PIECES OF YARN IN TWO DIFFERENT COLOURS.

8704656315_6945de71c3_b.jpg

"TAKE A NAP YARN" CADDIS FROM UNDERNEATH :-)

8705783940_e7064c49be_c.jpg

"TAKE A NAP YARN" SWIMMING PUPA WITH ONE PIECE OF YARN AND SNOWSHOE RABBIT HACKLE :-)

8704665901_24d47f808e_b.jpg

"TAKE A NAP YARN" SWIMMING PUPA WITH TWO PIECES OF YARN FOR BODY AND SNOWSHOE RABBIT HACKLE :-)

8705783108_f311c57689_b.jpg

Terje

And again you amaze John. Those are GREAT!

Any chance you might be willing to help me solve a problem?

I joined this tying with pet hair swap and wanted to try something different. Any ideas how to use shed snake skin for a shuck on an emerger? Do you think you can post some pics of the emergers you had on here about 2 years ago? If i remember right you used swiss-straw (or something similar) for the shucks. I have tried searching and can't make this sites search engine work right and lost all those pics when my hard drive crashed about 18 months ago. The snake skin will get VERY soft when wet but is pretty strong...it should survive a day of casting and a few bites and still tie in like swiss straw. I will be making a dubbing loop of Tonkinese hair but want to add a little more for the first swap i have entered in 2 years...I didn't do any tying after surgery May 23, 2011 until a couple of months ago...kinda re-learning now. A couple of pics of emergers should get my brain going...i hope.

I wasn't thinking this evening and was looking at the pictures of your flies while sitting at the table with the back door open Terje. I heard something and looked around towards the creek and three fish had their heads sticking out of the water looking at your flies .....If I wouldn't have shut the lid on the computer I think they would have jumped... All joking aside, they look great, as usual.

Take Care,

Tony

And again you amaze John. Those are GREAT!

Any chance you might be willing to help me solve a problem?

I joined this tying with pet hair swap and wanted to try something different. Any ideas how to use shed snake skin for a shuck on an emerger? Do you think you can post some pics of the emergers you had on here about 2 years ago? If i remember right you used swiss-straw (or something similar) for the shucks. I have tried searching and can't make this sites search engine work right and lost all those pics when my hard drive crashed about 18 months ago. The snake skin will get VERY soft when wet but is pretty strong...it should survive a day of casting and a few bites and still tie in like swiss straw. I will be making a dubbing loop of Tonkinese hair but want to add a little more for the first swap i have entered in 2 years...I didn't do any tying after surgery May 23, 2011 until a couple of months ago...kinda re-learning now. A couple of pics of emergers should get my brain going...i hope.

Thanks a lot, DrVette :-) :-)

I´m sorry to say that i have no idea of how to use shed snake skin for shuck on an emerger.

The pics you are asking for i just can´t picture in my head, i guess i have posted to many flies on different fly tying forums all over the world to remember the flies you are asking about. I´m really sorry about that.

Take care

Terje

hey Terje its Antron yarn great stuff I use it alot if you tie it in as wings and brush it out it makes great spent wings for mayflies great looking caddis though you make me tie more and more flies for my own box

Thanks, man :-) :-)

The yarn is a bit different than the antnron yarn i´m familiar with but it´s really nice with lots of shine and sparkle :-)

Terje

I wasn't thinking this evening and was looking at the pictures of your flies while sitting at the table with the back door open Terje. I heard something and looked around towards the creek and three fish had their heads sticking out of the water looking at your flies .....If I wouldn't have shut the lid on the computer I think they would have jumped... All joking aside, they look great, as usual.

Take Care,

Tony

Thanks a lot, Tony :-) :-)

Loved the joke :-) :-) :-)

Terje