Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

My first rod build. A 9 foot 4 weight Batson Forecast blank.

I put this rod together in one day. I bought this kit from J Stockard Fly Fishing: http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/RK-010304-0000/41100/J.-Stockard-Forecast-Fly-Rod-Building-Kit---4-piece.html.

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Far from perfect, but I am pretty happy with the results. I chose not to thickly coat the guides with epoxy mostly because I don't have a motorized rod spinner to keep the epoxy from following gravity, and drooping down. I figure whenever I do get a motor to spin rods, I could just throw another coat of epoxy on if it's really bothering me. Should I be worried about having a thin coat of epoxy? Is it noticeably more fragile?

I learned quite a bit from building this rod, and I am already planning on a few new rods for myself, along with a few rods for some friends. I may even get fancy with thread wraps, we'll see smile.png.

I took it out to hot creek about 18 hours after I applied the epoxy to the guides, so it was still a bit tacky, but I really wanted to cast this thing! I ended up landing about 8 fish in a few hours, missed a big, 18+ inch brown on my second drift. Yesterday I went up to the east walker and pulled out an 18 inch rainbow, along with a few smaller ones.

I was going to tell you to turn back now, but it seems like it's too late... Welcome to your new addiction. Kits are a good way to go for your first one since everything should be sized up nicely.

18 Hours! Were you trying to hit a hatch and inlay a mayfly into the finish? Good god man, that was rushing it to say the least. You probably didn't do any harm as far as the guides moving, but I'm sure it picked up some dirt. Won't show on the dark wraps so you're fine probably.

Do you have a grill with a rotisserie attachment? That's all mine is. You can find slower RPM motors and just build your own rod chuck for it. It is sort of a necessary tool if you continue to do this.

The thin coat of epoxy is fine, look at some old bamboo rods, the high build finish is just an aesthetic thing, and I think it's perpetuated by rod companies throwing big globs on their wraps and calling it good. I shudder when I look at commercial rods some times because of how uneven the finish is. Think of the wraps and finish like laying up fiberglass (hopefully this analogy makes sense), the thread is the glass weave that acts like rebar of sorts, and the finish is the stuff that holds it all together. When I'm laying up the first coat on my wraps I'm basically squeezing most of the excess out (cuts down on bubbles in the end product), once that coat is hard then you can lay it on as thick as you want for show. I typically am doing 3 thin coats for not alot of build, but this is the best way that I've found to have a level finish in the end. Hope that makes sense.

If you want to get fancy with thread wraps, Google "dragon scale wrap". I can tell you how to cheat on these and make it easier for you. The top thread has to be metallic though, but looks killer in gold I think. Also if you want tips on inlaying feathers, that seems to be more my specialty.

Your rod looks great. I've been eyeing the 5 or 6 wt Rainshadow switch kit (also from J Stockard), so far I have been able to hold off, but I find myself looking at it more and more often.

Nice! I like the colors you chose. I don't think you need a thick coat but be sure the finish covers the thread. You can turn it by hand, though I'd imagine you read about that to get the finish on the wraps. I know it is hard to wait to fish the rod but I'd give it more time to let the finish cure. Also, if it is still tacky after 18 hours I'd guess your mix was off a bit and you'd do well to apply another thin coat over the wraps.

Also, if it is still tacky after 18 hours I'd guess your mix was off a bit and you'd do well to apply another thin coat over the wraps.

I'm finding the flex coat lite is still tacky after 18 hours sometimes, I think it depends more on temp and humidity. If your mix ratio is off, or incompletely mixed, it'll never cure. And in that case, do like williamhj says and do another coat.

Looks great, I am going to buld a rod, been wanting to for years. you made sound very eazy. I just might start with a kit too.The best rod I ever had was a 5' 6'' 00 wt. for bush wackin' small free stone creeks in Big Sur, but I busted it two years ago.