Fly Tying
Tt8377

Snowshoe rabbits feet

Hi all,

I'm just beginning to tie my own flies. My home water is in the Catskills, delaware river. I've been experimenting with the comparaduns using the coastal deer hair with limited success. I saw on you tube some one using snowshoe rabbits feet and stating that its very buoyant and durable, yet easier to work with. I believe in simplicity, which is why I really like the comparadun style flies. I can adjust the hook size and color to match most hatches on my water. Does anyone know where I can buy real snowshoe rabbits feet, as I've read much of what's out there is imitation. Or if someone knows of a synthetic that has the same characteristics would be great. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Have fun! Tt

You bet, they can be found on ebay for under two dollars a foot, most of the ones I've seen are dyed different colors but are fully tanned and clean ready for tying.

Try coffin furs. They have good quality material..

Do you mean limited success in tying them? It takes awhile to get the technique down. It's all in the hair. If you get a chance, look at Fran Betters book on tying. He invented the "Usual" which is the snowshoe rabbit pattern and the "Haystack" which is we're the comparadun came from.

Type in the usual and haystack on you tube. While you are at it, type his name in too. He was an upstate NY boy too.

I had a hard time with dubbing them at first. But they are meant to catch fish and not win awards. I have also tied them with silk dubbing but scruffy is the best.

Thanks to all replys. I will check them out. Ill probably have another post after I can't tie with the rabbits feet either. Good luck to all. Tt

Try coffin furs. They have good quality material.. Do you mean limited success in tying them? It takes awhile to get the technique down. It's all in the hair. If you get a chance, look at Fran Betters book on tying. He invented the "Usual" which is the snowshoe rabbit pattern and the "Haystack" which is we're the comparadun came from. Type in the usual and haystack on you tube. While you are at it, type his name in too. He was an upstate NY boy too.

One of the local stores is in Syracuse...they are bucktailjig on Youtube. Here is the "Usual" they tie: