Fly Tying

PRACTICE tying, packing, and trimming over and over again until you are getting results with which you are satisfied. Just do this on hooks with nothing else- no tails, legs, or anything. Once you are able to do what you want, use those skills to create finished flies. ---- JSymczyk, you are absolutely right! Too often I have begun tying without going through the pain of practice - practice - practice, no more. I recently received one of Pat Cohen's videos on stacking hair and my next DVD will be one of Chris Helm's on spinning hair. Both are excellent and friendly with their help (phone, email, in person and their videos). I am sure there are others very good as well - these are the two I am most familiar with. And of course the help here online like this site - thanks for the question jamesbrock3. Thankyou, Bob

good quality hair, and minimize thread wraps as much as possible. thread wraps limits the room you have for packing. and PACK IT TIGHT

Matt

I bookmarked that website Randy, thank you good videos. Thanks Matt I appreciate the advice. I had posted on a question started a couple of years ago regarding problems with Gel Spun Thread,there were several good suggestions and ideas there as well. Will let you know how it turns out, of course I am sure the learning curve is going to be all part of the fun. Thank you again, Bob

I feel the pain, decided to go with foam, have a mini lathe run by a cordless drill.

I think spinning hair bugs is about the highest form of fly tying art and science and requires a lot more time than I have right now, maybe more patience than I will ever have. Good luck and skill

I feel I'm now doing a better job of trimming. First I cut the spun and stacked deer hair into a square with straight scissors. Then I put the bug back in the rotary vise and round out the corners. Finally, I trim and smooth with a razor blade.

Randy