Fly Tying
Po0gs

Looking for a basic fly pattern..

For LM Bass other then the traditional wolly bugger. What are some of those "go to" flies that you'll use?

thanks

~Po0gS~

Clouser's sinking minnow in chartreuse over white and black over white work great for lm bass here in new england.

Thanks for the quick response! That totally slipped my mind when posting this, though I always thought of Clusers and Deceivers as a Salt H20 fly? Hmm. Thats why I call my self a Newby.

~Po0gS~

Clousers are defiently a goto fly for both largemouth and smallmouth, nobody fishing for bass should be without a few differnet colors in their box. Deceivers are used less in freshwater for whatever reason but they are GREAT bass flies! Anything that resembles baitfish would be a perfect bass fly. wink.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Jan 19 2005, 09:10 PM)
Clousers are defiently a goto fly for both largemouth and smallmouth, nobody fishing for bass should be without a few differnet colors in their box. Deceivers are used less in freshwater for whatever reason but they are GREAT bass flies! Anything that resembles baitfish would be a perfect bass fly. wink.gif

I hear ya m8, thats why I came up with this junkie

well i mean I didnt come up with it, i just tied it

and the heads not finished but here

user posted image

Now that all else said, waht size hook and what kind of hook do you reccomend for the bass bugs and clousers. Im making myself sound like an awful tyer here, but im pleased with my patterns.

PoOgs,

Hey kid,

That is a great looking fly. It took me quit a number of flies to tie one that looked that good.

I did notice you put a conehead on that streamer. Your a kid after my own heart.

For bass on top water tie a few deer hair, bullet head hoppers with rubber legs. I never leave home without them.

Conehead

bass bugs can range from size 4 to 1/0 or even bigger! Clousers I normally tie in 6s and 4s.

He's right on. I like to use the Mustad C52S BLN stinger hooks for tying bugs. They come in sizes 4-2/0 and you can get 'em thru J Stockard.

-MuskyOnTheFly

I tie my Clousers on Mustad CK52S or 33903 and use the kink for eye placement. For LM I tie them larger and lighter for two reasons, one for castibility and second to get a higher suspend in the water collumn.

I also tie a lot of Rabbit streamers.

I keep these patterns:

Clouser style crawdad

Clousers in different colors

Calceseiu pigboat (just like a jig)

Frog poppers

Big foam terrestrials

San Juan worms

Thanks all, I recently was thinkign of putting an order in to Cabelas for Bucktail, now I think i definately will.

Cone- I hope the head works out and doesnt make it to jerky while casting.

Im no good at stacking deer hair, so im a lil nervous to try baby.gif

Thanks again all who asnwered

This has become one of my favorites for largemouth and smallmouth. The 'stinger' hook you see added to the top worm (fly) is for those bluegill that always want to nip at the tail. They replace the rubbers I used to use before I learned about long-rods.

post-2-1106417264.jpg