Fly Tying

I wanted a boat that could handle some rough water if caught out by accident so I bought a SOT Wilderness 13.5 Ride. I think if your are sure that you will only use it in sheltered waters a Nucanoe would be a good choice. I am an old weak fat man and I don't like handling the weight but I have found that by hauling in the P/U bed and launching on an improved ramp there is very little lifting required. If you get a little 2 wheeled cart to move the yak with you don't even need to unload close to the water. I have bought the stuff to make a cart have yet to feel the need to build it.

Ocean ProwlerTrident 13. I have had on Lake MI, Lake St. Clair, numerous inland lakes, the Manistee River (from Hodenpyle to Red Bridge, Everglades (Choko), ...... and many other places. The boat has performed well for me. On the Manistee I loaded it with my backpacking gear fished and camped for 3 days. I'm right around #235/ 6'2" and with another #45 of gear the boat handled well. I have strictly fly fished out of mine. I also have a native 12' which is just as good. The Ocean is faster and more nimble but the Native is much more comfortable and fly fisherman friendly.

It really depends on the type of fishing you plan on doing out your future boat. I one trip to Charlotte Harbor/Punta Gorda I fished out of a Jackson Cuda and it was pretty sweet. It was heavier and slower than my Ocean but the seat system and the flexibility it provided made for a neat fishing experience. Hit me up if you have any questions. I have been fishing out of that Ocean for 5 years. I have not made a single modification to it and the only damage was a broken handle that was easily repaired. The boat has no leaks and has not warped even with my BIG ASS on it.

post-30465-0-17389300-1381281843_thumb.jpg