Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Deer hair fanatics, beware

First ... I am assuming the red throat of your fly is NOT blood ... since it's too perfect. That is a good looking fly.

Second ... It's a good thing you didn't slice that finger clean off. You'd have had to get divorced ... no place to wear the wedding ring!

Third ... OUCH. The last razor cut I got didn't hurt right away, but man did it hurt later, and for a long time while it healed. I did use superglue, and that closed it up okay, but it still took a week to stop hurting.

Wilkinson Sword do a razor with a battery powered long hair trimmer in the end of the handle. It is like a mini set of barbers sheers. Unlike many of these the teeth are wide enough to be used on deer hair. It does a brilliant job. So far I haven't found a way to cut myself with it (if there was a way I'd find it).

Hope the finger heels. If you want to continue with the "safety razor" blades then you should get one of these. http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/product/6785/category/276

Cheers,

C.

Wilkinson Sword do a razor with a battery powered long hair trimmer in the end of the handle. It is like a mini set of barbers sheers. Unlike many of these the teeth are wide enough to be used on deer hair. It does a brilliant job. So far I haven't found a way to cut myself with it (if there was a way I'd find it).

Hope the finger heels. If you want to continue with the "safety razor" blades then you should get one of these. http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/product/6785/category/276

Cheers,

C.

Ive seen a ton of different gadgets in my online travels but I have never seen that! Thanks for posting C!

I always use a heavy scissors to cut those double-edge blades in half horizontally so I have one dull edge to hold onto while trimming. Before I started doing that, I was putting literal blood into every fly along with the figurative sweat and tears. smile.png

Likewise... and I cover that "dull" side with blue painters tape to add grip as well!

Adding scent to the fly is against IGFA regulations lol tongue.png

Ouchies.

If you're planning on dying your hair that way for "showcase" flies, please understand that the nice red color will oxidize to brown or black over time...

I have a bass tournament friend who takes the stock treble hooks off his surface plugs and substitutes red trebles. He says it imitates blood trailing into the water from a wound. I have always told him that fly fishers are more into realism, matching the hatch etc., than bait and spin casters are. He has always argued that is not so. After seeing this photo he conceded the argument. Thanks for the winning evidence.

John