Fly Tying
rainbow27

dyna king jaws

my dyna king squires jaws are slipping hooks. i am sure it is the jaws being worn or somthing. i tried flipping them upside down no luck/ plz help

i bought a used barracuda and i experience the same problem. i solve it by placing the hook so the jaws get maximum grip. But i will probably change vice manufacturer in the future.

The jaws were the reason I changed from Dyna-King. They are made in one piece. This creates access problems to the inner working surfaces during the hardening process. Now I would only buy a vice that had jaws made in two pieces.

Cheers,

C.

I don't have a Squire but assume the quality is the same as the Barracuda. Every few months I clean the jaws and all the moving parts inside with my gun solvent and lubricate with Gunslick lubricant. You could use any cleaner and lubricant and I'll bet you will see a difference. I have tied thousands on both the midge and standard jaws without excessive wear. Try cleaning and lubricating the entire jaw assembly, not just the jaws.. Maybe their quality has changed since I bought mine not long after they came on the market. I have has slippage but screwed the adjustment tighter and stopped it, especially with the midge jaws. But I'm careful not to go so tight it will effect and weaken the hook bend on small hooks. I love my Barracuda but rather than buy new jaws I would consider the Nor vise, or maybe the HMS, but never a cheap Indian vise. Their jaws are soft metal and will not last. I have a bunch of spare Indian Jaws, left over from my sold fly shop, that I'll gladly send to the unfortunate tiers with worn jaws for postage only. I have no use for them. Lust let me know.

Let us know if it works for you. Actually, all jaws need to be cleaned occasionally. The entire inside of the jaw assembly is best to clean and lubricate. They will all get dirty and bind, not producing the even pressure to hold the jaws tight enough.

Vise jaws do not last forever, and if you tie a lot you will wear them out. The Renzetti will be no different, although if you wore out the cross hatching in the Dyna-King jaws in just two year, you must be tying a ton. As you have found, Dyna-King will recondition the jaws which will solve the immediate problem. You'll find that if/when you need new Traveler jaws, Renzetti will simply recommend you buy another set.

Vise jaws do not last forever, and if you tie a lot you will wear them out. The Renzetti will be no different, although if you wore out the cross hatching in the Dyna-King jaws in just two year, you must be tying a ton. As you have found, Dyna-King will recondition the jaws which will solve the immediate problem. You'll find that if/when you need new Traveler jaws, Renzetti will simply recommend you buy another set.

True is was the jaw serrations i think my vise was old from my dads freind who no longer ties so...

I've got an old Professional that holds small hooks just fine, thousands of flies tied on it. My new Barracuda doesn't. When I first got it, the difference was so marked I sent it back to them. (They wanted to charge me for cleaning the jaws). No change. I think they've change the metal in the jaws. My tying now is all bigger salt/warm water so I just use the hook slots and not the tips of the jaws. One tip I've read is to fold a bit of paper around the bend before clamping it. Haven't tried it though.

So, i flipped the jaws and have them a good cleaning. This really helped! Thanks for the tip!!

However it the side that i flipped to had some of the groves (or what it is called) left. But it sure feels alot smother.

I do like tying on the dyna-king, solid vice, smooth rotary function, easy to change settings and lots of space around the hook. The problem with the hook sliding only occurse with long shank hooks in smal sizes, like tmc 200R and hooks like this!