Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ghosty28

Cock hackle

Hi Could anyone tell me what are the most usefull color cock capes for tying the most used dry flies your opinions would be most appreciated thank you

I'd say grizzly, medium ginger (or brown) and medium dun. After that, whatever you take a fancy to. If you're not careful, you'll wind up with a dozen capes, all different....

A good way to approach this is to ask about the hatches you fish. Why buy an olive cape or saddle if nothing that color hatches where you fish? For western MT where I do most of my fishing brown, dun and grizzly and cream cover 90% of the hatches. Moreover, virtually all the hatches are size 14 or smaller, so I do not buy capes. Sized Whiting saddle hackles are a much better buy. For the few hatches that require a color other than the four above just buy one of the "hundred packs" Whiting sells in the size you need. Why waste money on a full cape or saddle for colors you use infrequently? I do that with black (size 20-22 for midges), white (size 16-14 for renegades) and olive (size 18 for female tricos and some baetis).

For me it's Grizzly, Brown, Dark Barred Ginger and Black. I havent started using any patterns that need Dun yet, but know I will in the future. Black is excellent for ants and a variety of midges. At $20 for a 100 pack, just get a Pro Grade or Bronze Cape and have a full variety of sizes. Better yet, spend $60 and get a whiting hackle into package. They usually come with Grizzly, Brown, Dun, and Cream. Some have black. You can get mixes of saddles and caped. Excellent choice to get some 1/2 saddles or capes on the cheap.