Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Anyone using military backpacks?

You gonna use it for both fishing and backpacking? I would recommend a daypack of about 2500 cu inches. I've been using a North Face Hot Shot for years (don't know if they make that model anymore)..

It has plenty of exterior straps to lash a rod case to, and one large separate zippered compartment on the back I use fora fly box and smal items. I would recommend getting one with a mesh side pocket for a water bottle. Make sure it has comfortable (padded) shoulder straps and a chest strap, along with a waist strap. I've lived out of mine for a week at a time, and kept the weight down to 25 lbs or less, including sleeping bag, tarp, clothes, food, and stove.. Never made any alterations for fishing, but most daypacks will ride high enough to wade with, at least the type of small streams I frequent.

The larger the capacity of the pack, the more stuff (read "weight") you'll end up putting in it.

I've used to use a WW-II ruck sack to carry my fishing gear. I didn't make any modifications. I just stacked things in neatly, and off I went.

More recently, I got a closeout LL Bean day pack which I now use for the same purpose. Again, the existing compartments are sufficient. I don't camp with it, but I do carry my lunch, or a snack, extra water, insect repellant, etc., etc.

You need to be a bit more specific as to what you are wanting to do.

Its going to be primarily a day pack as i dont plan on doing any overnights. I just wanted a rigid framed pack as they seemed to balance the load better. Mainly carrying a change of clothes and waders. Safety stuff like first aid and a small cooking kit just in case. I have a couple of military canteens so hydration is set. I want to lash my rod tube to the frame i have a sling pack for my fly fishing supplies.

As far as comfort and balancing the load, I'd go for an internal frame pack. MUCH more comfortable, but generally a bit more in the $ department. When I go after Brookies, it's usually alone and for at least a week, so my needs are different than yours. A day pack should do you fine. If you want to carry a stove, first aid kit, etc, I gave up on lugging a lot of stuff around years ago, had something to do with my age I think.

I have an air force issue pack, plenty straps for adjusting equipment and compartments for stuff. Comfortable padded straps, however, it is a tad heavy.

Works well for my saltwater flats needs.

I use a Fieldline pro series pack that I picked up at Walmart a few years back. Its comfortable and is big enough to carry what I need for a few days up in the mountains and still fish as I head up. There is enough pockets and places to lash equipment so it serves me well. My son left a couple Special Forces packs at my place while he is deployed but I wouldn't want to try to pack one of those and fish at the same time. I think I could pack for a month in one of those but I would need back surgery if I ever made it back out of the mountains.

Heavy and uncomfortable. I used to carry them for a living, so I'm pretty familiar.

If it's all you had it would definitely work, but literally any backpack actually designed for backpacking or hiking would be more comfortable.

I've been using the same north face electron 26 pack for hiking/fishing for like 8 years. It's great. I can't imagine what you'd be carrying on single day trips that would require a large, framed pack like that (maybe an iron skillet for shore lunch?) but if that's what you need, Kelty makes good, cheap framed packs.

I have a medium ALICE pack that I carry. Ive carried untold numbers of quarted hogs and deer out od the woods with it. Easy ti wash the blood out with thr drain holes. I switched out the standard straps and put on heavy padded straps. I found the frame to be absolutely worthless. I have better packs (Maxpedition, Gregory, Kelty) but for a cheap rugged pack, you can't go wrong with an ALICE pack.

For just short fishing trips, I use an ALICE LBE buttpack with a single strap for over the shoulder carry. I can pack 2 fly boxes, hemos, camera, water bottle and a few candy bars in it, and walk and wade all day.