Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

OOOOPS

I put my phone and wallet in a small pelican case. If I'm on foot, that will go in my vest or pack. When I'm in my kayak it goes in the center hatch, clipped to a cord in case it slides somewhere in the hull. I don't take it out unless I am dry and in no danger of sinking it. A former career in military electronics taught me all kinds of neat stuff about water intrusion into electronic devices. The best you can hope is to immediately remove the power source, and tear it down to a pile of screws, let it dry, and rebuild it. Short of that, remove the battery and IMMEDIATELY plunge it into a bucket of denatured alcohol, which will displace all the moisture- then you have to evaporate out all the alcohol, and you need to deal with a bucket of highly flammable liquid sloshing around, not something recommended for the home... If you have a phone which the battery is not removable, then you are pretty much in suck street... The rice thing and all the home remedies may work as long as the water (carrying contaminants, dirt, and soluble conductive compounds) does not reach the conductors of energized components.... rots a' ruck.

I carry a water resistant, shock-resistant camera, an Olympus "tough" somethingorother, it's a few years old and works great. No worries about it getting wet.

The dry bowl of rice definitely works. I've had to do that 3 times now, all related to fishing:) now I have a little waterproof dry sack but most time I leave it in the truck.

I have had to use the rice thing a couple times. Worked well but took about 3 days each time.

This Christmas I got an Otter brand case that is submersible. Hope it works. I will find out this spring once things thaw out.

yeah the rice thing seems to be working but as lots of folk say takes an age. Ill leave it till Friday. It switched on earlier today for 5 mins but went off again so not proper fix.

Many of the new smart phones are waterproof. Most military cell phones are rugget and waterproof.

Time for a new cell phone my friend. Just ask any middle school kid ( 2nd or 3rd grade) the best brand.

Skinny

A really cheap way to protect a phone is to place it into a good quality gripper seal sandwich bag, remove all the air from the bag, and then place the bag with the phone into another bag and seal it up....has saved several phones and I pads over the last several years....the trick is to use good quality bags...cheap ones will certainly leak. I never was a huge fan of cell phones on the water until I had two heart attacks and now have small children....good to have in an emergency...if you don't want the nuisance of incoming calls, turn it off until it's needed.