Fly Tying
Fletch1104

Hooks???

Saber hooks are another inexpensive brand. The Fly Shack sells them online: http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640 The 7015 is 3x long like the Temco 200R. The 7017 is 2x long, which, like Cheech, I prefer.

They were at the Fly Fishing Show in Winston Salem, this past weekend. Seemed like a good bunch. Good quality merchandise at decent prices.

no financial interest, etc., etc.

+2 particularly like their stonefly hooks, great profile and great prices. Have yet to order online but they've been sold at the Denver Fly Fishing show so I stock up

My recommendation for a high quality hook at an affordable price is the Mustad Signature series. For the long shank nymph hook you require, probably the R73,...or R74 if you want the longer shank.. Both have round bends that will accommodate beads. About $8-9 per 50.

Dai-Riki 710 is another 3xl option with a round bend. About $6 per 50. A known brand that's been around for many years,but I prefer other makes.

The Fly Shop in Redding, CA, has a good following with their house brand hooks. They offer a 3xl round bend "5263" that is apparently, by appearance and description, a facsimile of Tiemco's 5263. Only goes down to #14. About $3 per 25 or $10 per 100. They offer a reduced shipping rate for orders containing only hooks or flies.

Green Caddis Outfitters doesn't show any availability in the sizes you desire in their "5263."

One more you might check is Togen Enterprises. Less known off-brand that does pop up occasionally as a recommended source by others.

I've seen too many fish lost because of cheap hooks. I would avoid any branded hooks from any store. Choose only the well known brands. Expensive? Well definitely not when you compare the price of any hook to the cost of any fishing trip. In twenty years of guiding I have only known one small batch of bad Tiemco hooks.

But here's the real test, put a hook in your vise and see how far you can bend it before it breaks and then make sure when bent before the breaking point that it springs back to its original shape. Then give it the thumbnail test. If it passes all this, then you have a good hook.

All this was shown to me by Geoffery Bucknell many moons ago.