Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FattyMatt

good source for saltwater marabou

There are dozens of sources for fly tying materials, but bring unable to see and hold feathers makes me really skeptical.

Can someone recommend a marabou source that they have personally used to tie size 2/0-4/0 streamers? I need both tail material and wrappable collar marabou.

Thanks,

Matt

The extra select marabou by Hairline is really good. The feathers are huge but can still be palmered

No such thing as "saltwater maribou".. What you're looking for is called strung blood quill and it comes in 2, 3, and 4" lengths, dyed in the color you want. I buy the stuff by the pound and usually choose the 4" since it will tie up into small or larger flies easily. Although I generally purchase maribou in bulk I have had good quality 3" stock from Wapsi (and they do sell in 1/4 oz packs to shops everywhere for retail sales). I'd make a point of checking with your local fly shop since they should have access to both maribou in retail packages as well as the bulk stuff if they're doing much tying in-house. Hope this helps, here's a bug or two done up with maribou...

post-30940-0-94670600-1393933524_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-25445700-1393933563_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-11906200-1393933631_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-21048800-1393933632_thumb.jpg