Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymaster

Rod trouble

I was fishing a larger MTN stream a few days back and missed a strike that resulted in hitting a brach above me. A few casts later I seen that the 3rd snake guide down was missing. This ia a full flex Orvis Rocky MTN. 9' 4wt. So I am really concerned that the rod may be fractured under the wraps. I sent it back to Orvis thay said it would be repaired if it wasn't cracked. If so I get a Pro Guide of a TLS. Neither one has a 904 full flex. So I will have to take a mid flex. But the TLS is a nice rod, I still love mine that was my baby. I love it on the tailwaters it handles 7x like a pro because it was so soft actioned. Casts like a 4wt fights like a 2wt. What I really was wondering is thats the cance of getting my rod back after a blow hard enough to break a metal guide?

I've broken guides on 2 different Orvis rods (one a Rocky Mtn.) in the past and neither of the rods were structurally damaged. After putting on new guides, they continue to work to this day. I'd bet that your rod is just fine.

Orvis must use cheap snake guides or something...

Titanium guides ? I've heard of several titanium guides shattering, they are designed to flex and snap back to thier original shape but they apparently cannot withstand a sharp blow and will explode into fragments rather easily I guess.

Could have something to do with the weather too. If it was cold and you were out there for a while there is a chance it got brittle and you hit it jist right to break it. Diamonds are the hardest thing out there but you can chip or break one if it gets hit just right (or wrong depending on your perspective)

QUOTE (fishinwrench @ Jan 30 2005, 12:48 AM)
Titanium guides ? I've heard of several titanium guides shattering

Oh no! unsure.gif Where did you hear that? I have 3 rods with Recoil guides and now you have me worrying! blink.gif

You should contact Dan Lanier at REC with your concerns at [email protected]. REC as exclusive rights for Recoil guides for all fishing applications. He would probably like to hear about your concerns.

Ken cool.gif

The guides on my Orvis RM aren't titanium. I suspect they are just more brittle than the average guide; be it cheaply made, or just a different type of material. When I broke the snake guide (2nd from top) on it, it was sitting in the canoe while we were pike fishing. I was using a different rod, and I hooked it on a forward cast. The guide snapped clean off. It was better than the alternative, which would have either been a broken rod, or a rod in the lake. tongue.gif