Fly Tying
Fletchfishes

UV Resin Patterns

I tie a fair number of scud and caddis larva. Both seem like great opportunity to use UV resins. I'd love to see examples of members using UV resins. Scud and Larva in particular, but open to any solid use of UV resin. Most of my experience thus far with UV resin is to build heads on streamers and I'm looking to branch out!

any fly that can be coated with epoxy can be coated with uv resin

streamers

poppers

bait fish

caddis

stoneflies

midges

fresh water

salt water

pike flies

https://www.google.com/search?q=uv+resin+fly+patterns&safe=active&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=K6pWU42yGYirsQS6qoDYCA&ved=0CAUQ_AU

etc etc etc

Take a look at some of Davie McPhail's patterns on YouTube. He ties several caddis larva patterns with resin and they are great. I can attest that they work.

Joe

I'm a big fan of UV resin on my midges. Here's a few lake midges in wine and gray. I used Silvercreeks crystal UV resin on these.

IMG_20140422_193450.jpg

I'm a fan of Davie McPhail's flies as well. He has some UV resin patterns that work great. Look at his midge patterns...

Sorry… No video… I'm digitally challenged and technologically impaired… 'oneoftheseDAZE...

P3180694.jpg

P3180695.jpg

Wow - great patterns. Thanks!

PeteGray - I'm curious to see how you developed the segmentation in that shrimp. Very impressive!

Most of the Caddis Larva videos I've seen use the resin as a replacement for head cement. I was thinking one could use it as the primary body material - either coloring with a marker between layers or putting down some thread on the hook at the start - but haven't seen this approach in a step-by-step.

Sorry… No video… I'm digitally challenged and technologically impaired… 'oneoftheseDAZE...

P3180694.jpg

P3180695.jpg

Please explain how you created the segments...

I'm thinking the clear body is clear hot melt glue with wraps of clear monofilament while still soft to give it the segmentation, then coated with a clear UV coat.

Insightful and analytical and that premise would probably work nicely...

but I digress...

The earlier suspect phly in question [with the pronounced segments] was done utilizing the rotary function of my vise...
repeated beads of acrylic were applied and cured before it had a chance to flatten out...
one layer on top of another, curing along the way, to build up the desired segmentations...
a curious side effect: the clear acrylic seems to gather in surrounding light and reflect background colours… a bit of a chameleon…wink.png
I personally prefer Bug-Bond Original with the ProTip for this exercise but any "thick" L.C.A. would do just fine…

a while back I went through a pre-light-cured-acrylic "silly skin" stage… [soft translucent gummi bear like material]...

after tying in the buggy parts I'd wrap the soft carapace shroud and use mono thread to achieve the desired segments...

TuffShrimp3.jpg

and then I experienced an epiphany...

I discovered the inconceivable and illogical VooDoo acrylic light cured magic...

I "SAW THE LIGHT" and the light was good [but don't stare into it!!!]...

among other things, I manipulated L.C.A. to create the segments...

PA240346.jpg
It's all an evolution… Imagine the possibilities…
to quote Charlie Chan… "mind like a parachute, only functional when open"...!!!
consider the blasphemous thread free welded wide body tunnel hull teeny weeny streamahz...
F70A2378_zpsc1e4de63.jpg
F70A2370_zpsa0ff5e83.jpg
F70A2371_zps796ff3cb.jpg
That's my story and I'm sticking' to it...