Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
backyardhunter3006

alpine lake and creek flies

This summer i will be doing quite a bit of fishing in high elevation lakes and creeks for cutthroat and brook trout in western Alberta and eastern British Columbia. I was wondering what would be your go to flies for alpine lakes. Thanks so much for your time.

I fish the same rivers , elk hair caddis is a must in different sizes, hoppers in the fall, stimulators in different colors, those are good for everywhere around that area really. Golden stone dries and nymphs, copper johns, yellow sally, bitch creek nymphs. Foam salmon fly are always good to have in case your lucky enough to be there during a salmon fly hatch. I'll post a link for a hatch chart for some of the areas you will be fishing. The flies I posted are the ones that I've had most of my personal success on. For the alpine lakes I suggest chirominids for sure in different colors and sizes.

http://www.armanglers.com/charts.php

Your alpine lakes must be something like the lochs we fish here. You could try loch style fishing on them, you would almost certainly be showing them something they haven't seen before.

Usually done with a team of three flies on a floating line. The slimmest and heaviest fly goes on the point getting bushier as you go up the leader. You make a short to medium cast from the bank. Move a couple of paces along the bank. retrieve your flies and cast again. This way you will cover a lot of water.

There are far too many flies designed for this to list here, try a quick search on Loch Style Flies and you will find plenty.

If you have a boat available then you can cover even more water by setting up a drift (Side on to the wind) and fishing over the downwind side of the boat. With this method a short cast is all you need. Lift the rod to work the flies in the surface. You will get slashing takes within a couple of feet of the boat fishing this way. A longer rod of 10 or 11 feet is best for this kind of fishing.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,

C.

We might head up to coral lake in the next couple years. It's along hike in though. It is supposed to have quite a few creek crossins as well. The trip we are doing this year is to Egypt lake and the surrounding area. We will be camping at the Egypt lake campground for 3 nights. The area has 7 lakes that have fish in a 1.5 kilometer radius. The campground that we are staying at has a creek that runs past it about 40 meters away. The creek contains Brookfield and cuts. Man I am so pumped for this trip. Only 3 months to go!

Check out Phil Rowley on Youtube. He has a ton of great patterns for stillwaters. I would not fish a lake without some Carey Specials in my box; Randall Kaufmann's Timberline Emerger is another must-have for me. Sounds like a fun trip!