Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bellevue.chartreuse.trout

2014 Caddis Pupae - with results

I tied this caddis pupae up this Spring with hopes that it might do the trick. It did - once this past week. Will further field test this - this week I think.

The tie is not original I do not believe. Latex over flattened lead, either mallard or wood duck 'long legs', some sort of dubbing in a loop - thorax.

I think I may have some fun field testing this one. Off to try to fish some in Michigan this week - although it looks like a bit of rain.

BCT

Naw ... they're not so large that you can't see the whole thing in one view. I use to complain, until I remembered that not everybody spends as much time on a computer as I do ... for work and at home.

Anyway, nice looking fish ... nice looking fly, too.

Thanks Mike.

I wanted to comment that I realized the segments on the fly were not very consistent and the 'legs' or antenna that sweep back (aft), were not exactly the same length (after I took the picture). We as fly tiers tend to try to get these details precise as possible and I realized after I took the picture that this fly had imperfections. I strive to reduce these imperfections as much as possible but I don't lose any sleep over it.

However, this tends to prove a point that fish, at least at times, are opportunistic and may grab something just to see if it's food. Other times highly selective - which frustrates the heck out of me. Guess this fish thought it was food or either was suicidal. Who knows - I just had fun tying the fly and catching the fish.

Both pictures have been manipulated with brightness/contrast and cropped in GIMP. Pics taken with the new camera - FugiFilm XP70 underwater camera(only to 10m) - (macro setting on fly).

BCT

You're right in not losing sleep over small details - the fish don't dwell on such things, no matter what anyone says. Have fun in Mich. I'm heading up there (streams off the Manistee River) for a week, camping in the Pierre Marquette State Forest. Brookies beware!

Indeed! Brookies everywhere! I'll be tromping around the Upper Manistee between thunderstorms or raindrops. Taking some tying stuff to while away the hours otherwise.

Good Luck Mr. Creek - perhaps compare notes upon return? Think I nymph fished and streamer fished more than I have ever this past week and I think I may this coming week too! Looks like there will be a little more water than normal according to the USGS anyway.

BCT