Fly Tying
feathers5

Crappie Flies

Anybody care to share any of their crappie fly patterns? I've never tied for them and I'm going out next week on a local lake.

Thanks

Boa yarn flies, Goldie Jr., black mohair furl tailed leech. crappie candy, clouser minnows.

First four patterns can be found on FAOL.

Rick

Any crappie I ever caught on a fly was an accident. But if you can go to the Fly Pattern Database (top of page), search by tag, and select crappie (34 patterns). I've never used any of them, but it will give you some patterns to research.

Check out this thread: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=76820&hl=

Crappies can be caught on a variety of flies. A lot depends on the water depth & the size of the crappies. Most times when I catch them, it's in shallow water less than 6 ft deep. I use the same flies for other panfishes as well.

If you're fishing in deeper water, then either use flies that are more heavily weighted or a sinking line. smile.png

Any crappie I ever caught on a fly was an accident. But if you can go to the Fly Pattern Database (top of page), search by tag, and select crappie (34 patterns). I've never used any of them, but it will give you some patterns to research.

Thanks. I hate to admit it, but I never new how to use that function. Thanks so much.

I just use Clouser minnow patterns tied with lighter bead chain eyes. The drop rate is real slow and it keeps the fly up in the fishes view longer. Works great!

I have trouble hooking crappie.

you see them swallow the fly feel nothing then they spit.

if you strike when you see them swallow the fly just comes out of their mouth.

I think most of the 1s ive caught hooked themselves.

I have trouble hooking crappie.

you see them swallow the fly feel nothing then they spit.

if you strike when you see them swallow the fly just comes out of their mouth.

I think most of the 1s ive caught hooked themselves.

I don't have that much trouble hooking them, but the strikes can be very subtle. I'm typically slow stripping streamers for them. Sometimes you will feel the strike or see the line give a hard twitch. More often, I go to strip again and just feel weight. They will spit it quickly, so you have to hit them quickly if you feel weight. The bigger ones put a surprisingly good fight up on appropriately sized gear.

That's so true. When I was a kid, my Dad took me fishing often. We fished with cane poles. Smaller ones for bluegills, and longer ones for crappies (white). We used a large hook under a sinker and bobber, and minnows for bait. Often we'd see that the bobber hadn't moved for some time, and suspect something might have stolen the bait. When we pulled the line up, we'd find a crappie hanging on the hook! They just took the minnow in their mouth and stayed there without moving. I suspect they might have been using their vomerine teeth to "chew" up the minnow. Many fish have vomerine teeth, really raspy processes like a wood rasp in the roof of their mouth. They use their tongue to rub food against these teeth to grind it up.