Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

You meet fly tyers in the most unusual places

Yesterday i got a call to go help a fellow telephone tech do a fios install and i ran into a man with a pair of jewelers goggles on. The explained that he needed them to see up close and mentioned they got most of their use tying flies. Well about an hour later we were still talking flies and i left with two new flies to copy and an open invitation to go anytime. I call that a good way to finish off a day at work! Where have you run into fly tyers by accident?

I haven't, yet. Here, online, is the only place I've "happened" upon a fly tier.

I've net a few, from here, but none by "Accident".

Turns out the old timer that lived across the road from me was an avid fly fisherman and tier. Unfortunately he died earlier this year and I never knew all that until I went over and checked out the estate sale and talked to his son. Picked up a nice early 50's bamboo rod and some hackle feathers. I wish I would have known back when I started tying, probably could have learned a lot. Just goes to show that it could be the guy next door and you'd never even know it.

I've stopped being surprised when meeting fly fishers by random in my plenty of time in the sky. Travel more than enough at work.

Always meeting fly fishers ends with a tip, trick, water that is need to go, or even invitations...

Also met a few guys from here to go fishing with.