Fly Tying

Thanks mikechell, I need to keep that in mind next round.

PS... Been busy with other things not related to fishing. To keep things in check, decided to write an online article about the day trip to the LMF; provides a Newbie's view of the area. May be of interest to some....

full-27186-27182-title01.png

Decided to take another day trip to Beavers Bend State Park and fish the Lower Mountain Fork River again.

Learned some of the terminology for describing the area... Started fishing the river downstream from the Cold Hole. Had some little Trout nipping my fly else no luck. Did see one fisherman catch a Trout; was able to get video of the action. Unfortunately, the video quality was not good as I was too far away. Still was good to see someone hooking up!

Went to Lost Creek and caught a Rainbow Trout using a Prince Nymph. Also, caught little minnow-looking fish and a little Rainbow Trout that went for an Egg Pattern and/or Red Midge.

Then, fished Spillway Creek and lost a few Rainbow Trout; no video... either did not have the camera on or the fish wiggled away before I could get video.

Finally, ended the trip fishing to rising Trout in the Cold Hole. After several misses and turn-aways fishing a BWO, had one take the dry fly... turned out to be a Brown Trout!

Overall, it was a good day. Area had a lot of fishermen but that was expected since it was Saturday.

Decided to fish a local high school's catch and release ponds to get some practice fishing a Near Deere Fishing Fly under a strike indicator. Had a number of missed strikes using this rig on the Lower Mountain Fork River. So, better get some practice in (also, a good excuse to go fishing!).

Started out fishing areas that normally hold Bass but did not hook up. Then, had a Catfish take the fishing fly, followed by a Sunfish, and then another Catfish. Kept at it for a little longer, and hooked into a third Catfish that put up a really nice fight on the Five-Weight Fly Rod.

Fun stuff!

Thanks mikechell!

Tried the Near Deere Fishing Fly this evening at the local pond down the road. Caught a couple of Bluegill and Bass. No Bruisers but still fun stuff!

Another round of fishing with the Near Deere; no Bruisers but did get a few. Did have a couple of kids wander where I was casting... else, this round was uneventful.

Did some kayak fishing today for Striped Bass on Lake Texoma. Tried catching them using fishing flies but only had one follow the fishing fly. After a while, started getting strikes using a Blue/White Bucktail Jig using a Spinning Rod/Reel. Next time, may need to use some Blue/White Clouser Minnows if the fish still are holding in the cove.

Playing the weather by ear; thunderstorms and lots of wind. Hope things clear up some time this weekend. Looking to get another chance at the Stripers in Lake Texoma again. In preparation, tied some Clouser Minnows in the color they were hitting on last weekend.

full-27186-29468-dsc01104.jpg

Made it to Texoma for some Kayak Fishing. Trolled tandem rig Bucktail Jig/Fluke and the Clousers. Looked like the Stripers wanted the Jig over the Clouser.

... struck out. No worries, ended up paddling from the Spillway Ramp to Eisenhower and the to the Dam on Lake Texoma. Did have four Stripers chase my lure but no hook ups!

Fished Texoma today. Used the Jon Boat and mounted the outboard on to it, then trolled for a good while. Had a few strikes but no hook ups before finally hooking one small Striped Bass. May have done better with the kayak...

Enjoy reading your reports. I'll be spending some at mountain fork this fall and winter myself. The lower is good for trout but I really like the upper for the smallies and huge hybrid sunfish.

Thanks Knuckledragger! Hope to make another trip to the Lower Mountain Fork for Trout before year end, else will check out the Blue River come November when the Trout Stocking starts up again.

Blue River is cool. Haven't fished it much despite it being only 45 minuted away. Keep telling myself I'll go but never get around to it. Maybe this year. Was there about 4 years ago in terrible conditions but I did see a guy haul out a 8# trout on a crawdad that day.

I live minutes away from Robbers Cave which has a stocked stream as well but I just prefer to go after bass. Hoping to get a kayak someday soon after I get my truck and student loans paid off this winter so i can start hitting places for striper.

Took out the Switch Rod and tied on a Gander Mountain Senko, and then fished Bethany Lakes this evening. Missed several Bass but after a short while was able to time the hook set... managed to catch eight Bass this round. For reference, calling this Swenko Fishing! Fun stuff!