Fly Tying

DFW Fishing | Bethany Lakes Trout Stocking

Texas Trout Stocking Season is in full swing. Our local pond received its stocking Thursday, 12/19. Yours truly made a quick trip after work to the pond and noted lots of folks catching trout.

Trout were active, and bait seemed to be the key. I opted for lures and managed to catch two trout - one on a Gold Super Duper and another on a PowerBait Worm (it's a lure isn't it?).

Fun times, even cooked up the  two using a simple recipe of Garlic Powder, Season Salt, and Jalapenos!

Made it back this morning and caught three on Super Dupers. Will get that video posted at a later date.

DFW Fishing | How I Fished the Super Duper at Bethany Lakes

Fishing updates and related activities from the Team! This round caught three trout... two on a Gold Super Duper and one on a Silver Super Duper on a Friday morning quick trip.

Did go back Saturday and caught three more on the Gold Super Duper. But, no video.

Back Sunday morning and finally limited out using a Black Roostertail. Video in the works stay tuned.

For this round, check out the retrieve that I was using when fishing the Super Dupers!

Texas Trout Stocking | Limited Out After Finding the Pattern

Back to the local pond for more trout fishing. Cold temps with frost had changed the pattern. Eventually found a lure and a retrieve that worked. Limited out casting to passing schools of trout. Do check out the video to see how I found pattern.

YouTube Shorts video of yours truly trout fishing using a Kastking Zephyr BFS reel and a Fire Tiger Roostertail, and then a Penn Pursuit spinning reel and a Black Roostertail. Steady but fast retrieve was key!

Casting Ultralight Lures for Trout #shorts

YouTube Shorts video where I practice casting ultralight lures using a Kastking Zephyr BFS reel lined with 10lbs Spiderwire which has an equivalent diameter to 2lbs monofilament. 1/16oz Roostertail gets one trout to strike!

Do check back, plan to try more BFS fishing for trout in the next few weeks.

Trout Fishing with PowerWorms #shorts

YouTube Shorts Video of underwater action shots of a Trout really liking a Berkley PowerWorm! Ended up catching three trout today but missed a lot more.

Fished using the Kastking Zephyr BFS reel and a bubble fly rig but used a PowerWorm instead of a fishing fly. Windy and cold, still had lots of fun!

Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel Product Review | Pros, Cons, And Tips

Product review of the Kastking Zephyr BFS Reel where yours truly details why he likes the reel noting pros, cons, and tips... more like suggestions for those interested in trying BFS fishing but at a entry price point that is much easier on the wallet compared to other reels! This is the reel I have been using to cast 1/16oz Roostertails for trout recently.

Next item to try is casting a fishing fly using a specialized weight!

Trout Fishing | Bubble and PowerWorm Rig Worked This Round

Decided to fish Pottsboro Lake in Pottsboro Texas this past Saturday. After a little rain in the morning, made it to the pond just as a cold front rolled in.

Cold and windy, did manage three trout. Planned to catch trout using ultralight lures and a BFS Rod/Reel, but trout wanted PowerWorms.

Good thing I had the Bubble and Fly Rig handy, just swapped the fishing fly for a PowerWorm.

Bite was steady, just kept missing the hookset. Did get a few Bluegill and a Bass on the PowerWorms.  Plus got some underwater video of what was lurking in the pond!

Do check out  the video!

Fished Bethany Lakes Friday morning for a chance at the trout. Trout were there actively feeding. Bait seemed to be catching them fished under a float. The winner hands down was a homemade dough bait that one fisherman was using.

Yours truly caught three trout fly fishing, caught three Bass as well but his mojo was off losing a lot more trout that stuck the fishing fly.

Did notice the trout wanted movement. Did get strikes using a Black Midge, Rainbow Warrior, and a Griffith's Gnat.  As the morning progressed, noticed it was best to recast if no strike after counting to 10 when fishing dry flies.

There were a number of Bass near the pier with three caught using a White Producer - fishing fly we bought at Scotty's One Stop on a trip to the Blue River in Oklahoma.

Fun stuff!

First Time Trout Fishing Marval Resort | Lower Illinois River, Oklahoma

Planned to fish the Lower Illinois River in Oklahoma by the Power Plant. When we arrived,  we noted the river was high and the current was strong. They were generating power, so we went to our backup plan... fishing for trout at a place we never been to before... Marval RV Resort.

Since it is further downriver, we hoped the current would be slower and wadeable. It was still flowing fast and wading would be a hazard other than protected areas near the bank.

No worries... learned a few things about the area, caught a fish or two as well as one trout by our Fishing Buddy.

Check out the video as we fish a new place by trial and error!

Can't have a bad day when you're catching fish. 

Try larger lures, drop them below the little fish feeding near the top and see if you can find some bigger bass in deeper water.

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

Can't have a bad day when you're catching fish. 

Try larger lures, drop them below the little fish feeding near the top and see if you can find some bigger bass in deeper water.

Thanks mikechell,

No days when fishing!

Will give it a try next round. Not sure how deep the pond was but I noticed a few larger things moving about on the other end of the pond.

How Many Fish Can I Catch Using a Mepps Inline Spinner?

Decided to run down the road to the local pond (Bethany Lakes) and see what was biting. Brought the KastKing Zephyr BFS Reel and Ultralight Lures and left the fly rod at home. Plan was to fish Roostertails but switched to a Mepps Inline Spinner since the Trout seemed to be interested in them - specifically, a copper bladed Mepps Inline Spinner. Trout were following the spinner but not striking which was promising given they ignored gold, silver, and black.

For fun and games, fished only the copper bladed Mepps Inline Spinner to see how many fish I could catch. Worked the banks of two of the four ponds at Bethany Lakes... "Main Pond" and "Back Pond". Caught a number of fish - Bass and Bluegill.

Check out the video, and do guess how many I caught...?