Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cannonx4

How to buy waders?

It's been so many year since I bought a pair of waders, that I can't remember how to size them? I would normally wear a 10 1/2 shoe, do I get stocking foot waders in that size? An how much bigger would I size my boots than the waders?

I would use plastic or cash.....sorry couldn't help it. .....My advise is to go where they have the items you are intending to buy and take what ever socks etc. and actually try them on to get the proper fit. When you get fitted as you like then record the sizes so you and easily replace them.

With stocking foot waders, you buy the boots separately from the waders.

So you try on the stocking foot waders that fit your body. There should be enough room to so you can wear cold weather clothing under the waders, but not so much extra room that the floppy waders will cause extra resistance in fast water wading. Also they should be long enough that you can easily put your foot on a chair seat. This will allow you to step over obstructions like fences.

Then with the waders on, you put on a pair of boots that will fit your feet. Remember to wear the socks you would wear in the coldest situation you would fish in so your boots are not TOO tight.

Wading boots are normally sized large enough to fit with the waders so most of the time a boot sized to your regular shoe will work. If you buy boots on-line, make sure they have a return or exchange policy that will allow you to get the correct size if you guess wrong.

If you shop online, most places like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Orvis etc. will have a sizing chart that matches up the S-M-L-XL-XXL sizing system to shoe size, inseam etc. Even if you plan to buy elsewhere in person, you can use the charts to get an idea what size you should start with.

...and if you have a stocky build, be sure to check out the "stout" sizes. They have a bigger waist and shorter inseam.