Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
banks

my first bass worm

I weighted a 3x 3/0 stainless steel hook with 2 flat strips of lead weight right behind the eye then i added a zonker tail with a fly tails curly tail then spun deer hair then trimmed to shape then i put green flakes with nail polish this is my first attempt at making a bass worm any ideas to improve it would be appreciated. I like to thank everybody for the suggestions so far and i added the snag guard of 40 lbs leader wire and re took the picture showing weed guard and thanks to a better camera its showing the worms true colors.I added the yellow and black worm to show a blended colored worm. I also added red and gray worm to show blended color with the double bunny tail,all tails on these worms have a under wire loop to keep them from fouling the hook.

post-53702-0-33160000-1408903791_thumb.jpg

post-53702-0-10206800-1408922853_thumb.jpg

post-53702-0-22713800-1409357449_thumb.jpg

post-53702-0-74443300-1409365298_thumb.jpg

You might consider some type of snag guard, but other than that the only improvement would be to go out & get it wet! I like it!

That will certainly catch some fish! wub.png

Is that hook an Eagle Claw 066 style?

You can also furl a length of various types of chenille...If you want the tail to sit up and wave at the bass you can tie a small craft foam piece to the end of the tail.

You might consider some type of snag guard, but other than that the only improvement would be to go out & get it wet! I like it!

That will certainly catch some fish! wub.png

Is that hook an Eagle Claw 066 style?

If you get some free time check out the revised worm thanks to new camera its showing worms true colors and added snag guard.

Looks great! I like the color & also use that type of snag guard sometimes. smile.png

I would tie some in black too if you have the materials. I do very well on bass with black rabbit strip flies.

Yes the first picture didnt do the worm justice , I just finished one with black gonna put some green flake on it ,alot of our lakes here in Florida are dark and tanic and the dark colors work best for me , I like using wire leader material for the snag guard to , nice spring and dont bend to easy

alot of our lakes here in Florida are dark and tanic and the dark colors work best for me

Yep, have fished in Fl. & other southern states. Same here in MD, some of our rivers have that dark, tannic stain to them as well.

I won't say that dark colors work best here, as the water can be fairly clear even with the stain. But, I always have some dark colored flies on hand!

I like variety to cover as many situations & conditions as possible! smile.png

I'm looking forward to seeing your black version! wub.png

alot of our lakes here in Florida are dark and tanic and the dark colors work best for me

Yep, have fished in Fl. & other southern states. Same here in MD, some of our rivers have that dark, tannic stain to them as well.

I won't say that dark colors work best here, as the water can be fairly clear even with the stain. But, I always have some dark colored flies on hand!

I like variety to cover as many situations & conditions as possible! smile.png

I'm looking forward to seeing your black version! wub.png

here is the black one added it

Saw it & knew it would look great as well!

So, what's the total length on them? I'm guessing about 8"! smile.png

They would make great eels for Stripers I'll bet! wink.png