Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Is it fixable

Here's the way I've repaired similar cracks in the past (but you need to know going in that eventually it will fail again...). I strip the damaged area of thread carefully, then lightly sand it with 400 grit paper -just to scuff it a bit, not enough to remove any blank material.... The next step is to tightly and with as fine a thread as you can find (my usual for this sort of stuff is the same thread I use for wrapping fly rods, size A nylon, untreated..). If you can find a finer thread - use it. The finer the thread, the more actual pressure you can get on a blank -and you want to make the wrap at least 1/2" longer than the original wrap and make certain to extend it as close to the edge of the ferrule as possible... Once the first course of thread is wrapped and whip finished, I then lightly coat all of the thread with super glue (you want thin quickly absorbed stuff - I use Krazy Glue original). Once the first coat has dried thoroughly then you want to over-wrap it with another layer of the same size thread, almost as tightly as the first course... When that's completed and whip finished then use whatever rod finish you choose (I prefer FlexCoat - I've been using it since the mid seventies with great results.).

Most aren't aware that the finest diameter thread allows you to actually put incredible pressure on a blank and that heavier thread means less pressure (think of the number of turns of thread in a given area...). Hope this helps. I've gotten a year's extra life on a fly rod with this kind of repair - but I'm taking rods to places where fish can do really bad things to them (a 40lb tarpon on an 8wt for instance...). HOpe this helps

I repaired a rod one time by taking tying thread and wrapping it tightly over the rod and then super glued it, while the glue was still tacky I made another layer of wrap. I did this one more time for a total of 3 layers of thread and two layers of super glue and it turned out fine for a spare rod. I can still cast it with no troubles and hasn't broken while hooked up with a 28" musky