Fly Tying

Those OTHER pheasant feathers

So there I was, wondering what to do with those other pheasant feathers, you know; the ones other than the tail. I also got to use some variant hen neck. I'm thinking scuplins, shiners, and shad might be covered by this group.

post-63-0-95414800-1409702145_thumb.jpg

There isn't a feather on a pheasant skin (cock or hen,) that can't be used in fly tying. I have found so many uses for them, I always have a couple on hand. Most times, I get some friends to shoot me some pheasant. I once got two dozen sets of wings and tails, so I am set for life.

I have seen the In-The-Round pattern page somewhere but don't remember. Can you provide the title? I like that style for tube flies, that I rarely fish but like to tie. Ed.

I have seen the In-The-Round pattern page somewhere but don't remember. Can you provide the title? I like that style for tube flies, that I rarely fish but like to tie. Ed.

Hi Ed! I'll check when I get home to see where I got the page from. I have a sheet of plexiglass over my tying table and put tying and fishing articles between the sheet and the table as decoration, and to remind me of good patterns/techniques. As you can probably tell, it also protects the wood from spills of head cememnt and Zap-A-Gap! 8-)

You could use these for Matuka Streamers.

Hey, cool idea; I hadn't considered that! I'll get a better picture of them with my camera. This photo was taken with my cell phone cam.

Here is something you may not know. The Matuka was created in New Zealand and they call it Matuko. At least that is what they say in the south Pacific.

Here is something you may not know. The Matuka was created in New Zealand and they call it Matuko. At least that is what they say in the south Pacific.

Interesting...I did not know that.

I have never had any success with the Matuka, but they are fun to tie.

This is the link to the Garthside article on pheasant feathers http://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm

The other article by Terry Heleckson I can't get to, as his daughter is redoing the page and it's not back up yet.

Some great stuff on that Gartside page, thanks for sharing it! There's another streamer I made from an old recipe I found online that uses the rump feathers layered down the side, a thick tail of black hair, red floss for the body, and significant weight. I forget where I found the recipe and what it is called, but the streamer caught several Browns the first time out so I keep using it.

I took a look at the page and it's from an issue of Fly Tyer, date unknown, and an article written by Tom Fuller. I tried searching the magazine's website for the article but couldn't find it. It's probably around 20 years old though, so that's not too surprising!

I knew I had seen it before. I have every issue from the very first, except the last 2 years, which I will try to get back issues. I will find it. Thanks.

This is the link to the Garthside article on pheasant feathers http://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm

The other article by Terry Heleckson I can't get to, as his daughter is redoing the page and it's not back up yet.

Some great stuff on that Gartside page, thanks for sharing it! There's another streamer I made from an old recipe I found online that uses the rump feathers layered down the side, a thick tail of black hair, red floss for the body, and significant weight. I forget where I found the recipe and what it is called, but the streamer caught several Browns the first time out so I keep using it.

Maybe the fly you tied is part of the New Zealand Killer Series....the Mrs. Simpson......

https://www.google.com/search?q=mrs.+simpson+fly+recipe&rlz=1C1GGIE_enUS320US325&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=657&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nT0KVI_6KoOgyAT394DIDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ