Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
retrocarp

Dyna king barracuda vice any good ? And do they break ?

I have just purchased a pre-loved barracuda vice for a good price with out doing much research.

It was a whim ....as I already own five vices two of which are rotary.

Purchase price ( $170.00 AUD)

I've been tying on one for 10+/- years . The only two issues I have really had is that the head is heavy and you have to lift it (and consequently let it swing back down) when using the rotary function. It just took a while to adjust my muscle memory and technique to compensate. Play with the friction screw to hep with this some as the head can swing down pretty aggressively if you don't. The other thing and one that is not adjustable that with my tying style I don't have much clearance when tying smaller flys, the adjustment collar gets in my way. Not much to be done about that one short of doing a Frankenstienian finger replacement. I suspect a good chunk of that is me since I don't hear of others having an issue with it. The good thing is I rarely tie anything smaller than a #10 for my local fish, it's only when I need to replenish my cold water boxes that this becomes apparent. Mine is a tank, short of hurling it off of the roof I don't see damaging it. All in all I've been very pleased with mine and would not hesitate to recommend them especially down here in FL for the flies we tend to use. The fact of the matter is that these days it is tough to find a "bad" vice design made by one of the big name manufacturers. Tyers know what they want and the manufactures have listened.

Depends on what you tie, but only issue you are ever likely to come across is that if tying smaller trout flies, the serration on the jaws eventually wears out (especially if you tend to over-tighten the jaws), and hooks tend to slide around at that point. Solution is to send the jaws back to the manufacturer for refurbishment or replace, whichever is cheaper Down Under. Sounds like you got a very good deal on the vise and for tying larger patters (streamers and saltwater), I think the Dyna-King jaws are the best in production.

Having had two of these, a full size Barracuda and a Trekka, I have only two things that were a problem.

For the majority of my tying I used midge jaws. They only lasted me 9 to 12 months a set. That is probably 3 or 4 years worth of heavy use for most people. As they were guaranteed for two years I didn't claim. For hooks that are too small to fit into the pockets I much prefer 2 piece jaws. With a two piece jaw they can be hardened individually. It is possible to do a much better job of hardening flat plates than it is inside the gap in one piece jaws.

The rotary tension screw is just a poor design. As it is simply a screw acting on the rotary shaft the total amount of adjustment available is within less than a quarter turn of the screw. The default setting for my vice is to have just enough tension to be able to easily move it without it dropping back. It is very difficult to set it up this accurately on the Barracuda. An adjustment mechanism based on a taper is a far superior system for this. Giving the total adjustment over a couple of turns of the knob.

Neither of these I considered a major problem, Generally I was happy with both of mine.

Cheers,

C.

My Ron Abby Signature is basically a Barracuda with a Sidewinder handle. I've never had a bit of trouble with this vise. It's a tank.

P2030392.jpg

I have been using one for 15 or so years, never a problem. You do have to clean and very lightly lube the jaw assembly occasionally but other than that it has been solid as an anvil. I tie down to size 22 with the standard jaw which is about as small as I like to go. If you tie a lot of really small stuff I would consider the midge jaws if they are offered. As to Crackaigs issue with the rotation tension, I have not had that problem, mine stays where I leave it with no issue.

Steve

post-37956-0-23509300-1417999405_thumb.jpg

This is it..... The barracuda.( after a massive clean and service)

It has taken me a short while to find the sweet spot , but I managed to tie a size 20 the other day on the standard jaws.

If you need more clearance to work just rotating the vise helped.

I made the profile plate from a coat hanger ,copper tube and foam pads of white and black.

I believe it's the vice Charlie Craven uses.

Randy

He uses a Pro. Dyna-Kings don't break. Also, if you positively need more room behind the hook, notice the thumbscrew under the chassis of the vise. Be advised that this takes the rotation out of true.