Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FattyMatt

5" baby squid on 2/0 salty hook

Hey guys, I wanted to get some feedback on my latest creation. this is my prototype for a squid fly that I think will catch fish, but I want to weight it based on how they actually swim in nature. Do you find them just subsurface, in the middle of the water column, or on bottom? Any ways I can improve this fly?

post-51578-0-44181600-1418018199_thumb.jpg

post-51578-0-53858000-1418018586_thumb.jpg

I don't actually know where they swim at in the water column but that sure is a good looking fly. What did you use for the nose?

Shrimp are plankton/vegetation/carrion eaters. In other words, they are opportunistic omnivores. So, they can be found feeding on detritus on the bottom, filtering plankton from the water column and just about anywhere else food is available. It the direction you'll be swimming your fly (nice looking fly, by the way), it's in the "fleeing" direction. Most shrimp rely on their bursts of speed, near invisibility in the water and sometime cover. Flitting just above the bottom allows for all of these protective adaptations to help evade prey.

the squids I've seen in documentaries were swimming vertically, with tentacles downward.

Shrimp are plankton/vegetation/carrion eaters. In other words, they are opportunistic omnivores. So, they can be found feeding on detritus on the bottom, filtering plankton from the water column and just about anywhere else food is available. It the direction you'll be swimming your fly (nice looking fly, by the way), it's in the "fleeing" direction. Most shrimp rely on their bursts of speed, near invisibility in the water and sometime cover. Flitting just above the bottom allows for all of these protective adaptations to help evade prey.

..its...a ...squid...lol

..its...a ...squid...lol

Jeezo Peezo !!! I really got off the mark there !!! I saw it, I knew what it was, then I answered for a completely different creature. In my defense, I was typing while I was supposed to be listening to a lecture (for the second time).

There are some really good videos of squid in action on YouTube. Small squid act just like big squid ... but in shallower water.

It depends on the species, what ecological niche they occupy, their prey, time of day, presence of predators. Plus probably another ten factors I could think of if it was necessary. In other words, it depends. If you are fishing near shore, find out what the species are in your area and tie up a variety of sizes and common colors. Most squid and octopus can vary their colors pretty drastically so don't sweat color too much, have some light and some darker, especially if you fish at night.

Steve

I don't actually know where they swim at in the water column but that sure is a good looking fly. What did you use for the nose?

Hey Cannon, thanks!

The tentacles are red flash and they are thread through a head I made out of a cap to a syringe (I'm an rn). I dremel the cap in half, cover with tin foil, color, place eyes and epoxy. That way there's an opening through which the tentacles can be tied and where the body can attach. But really, any kind of circular plastic would work. I love making flies that will work out of things I find around the house

Hey Cannon, thanks!

The tentacles are red flash and they are thread through a head I made out of a cap to a syringe (I'm an rn). I dremel the cap in half, cover with tin foil, color, place eyes and epoxy. That way there's an opening through which the tentacles can be tied and where the body can attach. But really, any kind of circular plastic would work. I love making flies that will work out of things I find around the house

..its...a ...squid...lol

Ahhh, poor guy lol. Solid effort either way bud

I really like that last one ... the white and red with the green tentacles. That's a great looking squid.