Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Malware Malbytes - Anyone Else have an issues with todays update?

I just spent much of the day figuring out that the latest Malware-Malbytes update, that I did today, must have brought something else along with it, to my computer.

I eventually removed my antivirus and then the Malware-Malbytes and found that when I got rid of the latter, I then could get my internet connection to work again. I re-downloaded it and it DID THE SAME THING.

I am really hoping that maybe this only affects certain people but, I thought I'd mention it at least - and hope that I prevent someone else from the experience.I'm not a computer 'geek' or anything and I'm sure I'll check this freeware again after some time has passed to see if they get it fixed as it is a good product - until today.

BCT

ah can't edit the title - "a issue" not 'an'

I run malwarebytes as well as spybot S&D once per week to keep my system clean, but I usually wait at least a month till after the updates for each have been released just so all the bugs/issues with new updates gets worked out before I do them.

You need to go back to Malwarebytes and download the new free version if you haven't already. Lots of viruses could escape from the old Malwarebytes by constantly changing their filename. The new version contains a chameleon that can succeed where the old one couldn't. and you don't have to disable Defender to run it.

Belle......... Malwarebytes has a paid for version available, I suspect you have to buy it to get notifications. But you don't really need anything but the free version plus Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials (that's what I use) depending on whether you have Win 8 or 7. They're reported to be as good as the virus programs you have to buy.

I just tried here an hour ago Fla. And as a result of having it on my computer, it was not allowing me to get connected to any website pages. It looked like my modem connected, but I could not load any pages.

SO I assume ( I know I shouldn't) what I tried to download tonight, was the latest version. I downloaded the 'mbam-setup-2.0.4.1028.exe' and ran it. It installed and then, could not load any pages after that. I deleted the program, and viola - got back on the net.

website used for dl : "https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/" - was on the malware/Malbytes site I thought.

BCT

Was just trying to dl the freeware version

How do you know when they release the versions of updates that they do?

If you go to the main home page for malwarebytes they have a link to a page of release history which tells when updates and fixed bugs have been released.

Dec. 2, 2014, I see was the latest release. I'd of thought...... by now anyway that it'd be working. This leads me to think it's just something on my computer. But it seems to be working fine as long as I don't have it (malwarebytes) installed on the computer here. ....interesting.

BCT

Something else on your system has to be causing it. Reason I say that is because I just bought a brand new desktop PC last Friday, first thing I did was load up malewarebytes and spybot on it. So I have the latest version of malwarebytes installed on mine right now which should be the same version you are talking about and I don't have any issues. I'm no computer tech guy but I have had my share of issues with my system over the years and have had to sort them out myself which is never fun but you do learn a few things when having to sort things like that out. Do you have any other scanning/virus/malware programs on your system at all where you can boot into safe mode and run a scan?

I'm running Windows Defender with now. Was the first thing I got up and running after I deleted AVG and Malwarebytes. AVG was my antivirus. Defender said it was not running (back when I had AVG installed) because another anti-virus was detected in use.

I'll see what, if anything, turns up form this Defender 'Quick scan'. I'm doing the scan in 'normal' boot up. Should it be done in Safe Mode? Not sure if that makes any difference. I thought Safe Mode was for trying to limit what programs are initiated on a start up.

Like I've said though, the computer seems to be working fine not - without the malwarebytes program installed. I think you are correct, I've had to download the version that you are running now. And it is doing this on my computer, and on yours, its working fine. Sounds like something is still on my computer affecting the malwarebytes usage.

Thanks for responding.

BCT

The older versions of malwarebytes had to be run in safe mode, but the new one apparently doesn't. I just ran it last week in normal mode (with Security Essentials active), and it found and quarantined a bunch of malware files, which I then deleted.

Definitely a good product. I've had it resident on my computers for many years. It's just that something is making it act weird on my computer now. I may wait a while and try to dl again in a month or so.

I did 'contact' them and left an 'emial' or message/comment on their website. No answer to-date - but it's only been a day since I left that message. Will see if/when they respond - what they recommend.

BCT

I'll see what, if anything, turns up form this Defender 'Quick scan'. I'm doing the scan in 'normal' boot up. Should it be done in Safe Mode? Not sure if that makes any difference. I thought Safe Mode was for trying to limit what programs are initiated on a start up.

What I like to do is to put Malwarebytes onto a flash drive, then when there's an issue with the computer I'll boot into safe mode and then run Malwarebytes from the flash drive to scan the system. That way malwarebytes itself can't become infected at all. Once you are able to get a clean download of it stick it on a flash drive for later use, comes in handy doing it that way.

Don't know if this will help your problem, but I have seen this fix many strange issues. Go to your temp or tmp directory and delete everything in it. Not sure about the newer versions of Windows as I haven't had a windows computer since xp, but Windows use to have a bad problem of loading things from the temp/tmp directory.

Thanks Steve for the idea of downloading the malwarebytes onto a flash drive - nice idea.

Gramps - I had in the past, deleted temporary internet files and history and cookies , and such, on a routine basis until I got the new operating system, WIN 8.1. Now all I can see that I can delete is history. Not sure if I can get to the temp internet files to delete them. I'll have to google that.

I was talking to my friend last night though and he suggested the 'CCleaner' product and I've scanned and used it.

I've ran it and cleaned up some stuff that it suggested to clean up and ran its registry cleaning aspect and did the same. Will try to dl Malwarebytes not to see if it'll work.

Thanks for the suggestions Steve and Gramps.

BCT