Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
newbie@this

Hoping...

These are much better (pictures)! Congrats on that. Now, look at your pictures closely. Can you see that they are still ever so slightly out of focus? It isn't as bad as your previous attempts and I think we can see your ties clearly enough to provide critique and encouragement. But, if you don't settle for less that perfect, you'll eventually get some great results.

How long have you been tying? These look like ties that could work for just about anything. The white 'spider' sort, a bluegill pattern perhaps? The 'red eye' and palmered hackle flies should do well for just about anything too!

What sort of pointers are you looking for in showing these to us? The 'middle' fly - with the red (is it a glass bead??) looks nice - maybe you could get that soft feather wound up more to the glass bead before tying off but it probably isn't necessary as I think it'll catch a fish.

The last fly to the right, not bad unless you're trying to make a 'soft hackle' sort of fly. It looks like you used a more dry fly hackle on it. A 'soft' hackle would be more 'webby' and the feather would come off od the hook shank and be more plyable - less 'spiky' and straight.

Please don't take these observations too seriously as in denouncing your tying. They are just observations. If you like the way they look, then go with them!

BCT

BCT, I'm looking for critiques. Good or bad. I'm new to this, so any comment will only help me to be better at tying. Picture #3 was the first fly tied, same day as I got the tool kit, about 2 weeks ago. Picture #1 was a few days after and picture #2 was a few days ago. And yes, it's a glass bead. I was getting some hints at Bass Pro and the gentleman in the fly shop mentioned that he went to hobby stores to get some of his supplies. I decided to go to Michael's. Lo and behold, they had glass beads...looks like about a hundred per pack for $2.99, if you bought 3 or more the price came down to $2.53 per unit.

The hackle also came from Michael's, $2.99 for a bag. I've got plenty to practice with.

Pic #3 was made after watching a youtube video. It was the first one tied and I'm happy it looked somewhat was on the video, lol.

I appreciate your comments!

Bob

I think they look great. Bluegills love rubber spiders. They may nibble on those long legs, but try them out and see it that matters. Also be careful that the fly body doesn't fill up too much of the space between the shank and the barb, otherwise it may cause misses.

The beaded fly I'm not familiar with... I've never used anything like it yet. It would clearly be a wet fly, sort of like a streamer. I agree the tie-off behind the head could be sturdier. If you look at the flies on the database, you'll see that most tyers would cover the bead and tie with something like epoxy, Go2 Glue, or the like, to make a sturdier head.

The last one could be a wooly bugger if it had a tail. People use all kinds of things for tails... hackle feathers, marabou, deer hair, flash, etc. Whether it sinks or floats would depend on whether you wound the shank with lead or not. Like Bellevue was saying, most people use soft hackle if they want a wet fly, but what you used would be OK for a dry fly. Either way, it is a sure bluegill getter. And I think you did a good job of palmering the hackle on the body (chenille?).

If you have a swimming pool, or access to a small pond, it's a good idea to tie the fly onto monofilament on the end of a pole, and watch how they behave when you move them through the water.

One last suggestion, if you haven't already, I suggest you go to www.flyanglersonline.com go down the menu on the left, click the arrow by fly tying, and you'll get a menu full of very helpful instructions. You can select some of the "beginner" flies and try to tie them following the pattern closely.

Good job. and don't be discouraged by the photos. Some of our members are masterful at their photography and pictures of their flies are worthy of framing, but if your main intent was to demonstrate your flies, what you did is just fine. I'm even worse at photographing flies so again, good job!

Thanks for the comments and info, FlaFly! I used to be a pretty good photographer with the old slr's. I hate digital cameras.

The beaded fly was something I thought of...no name, no particular pattern. I bought the supplies and said what the heck, let's make something and see how it comes out. The tail end looks something like an assassin bug that we have in Missouri. I kind of consider it a beginner's fantasy fly.

I have 2 pretty good size lakes minutes from home. They both have several coves easily accessible to a shore angler, plus several small ponds that I can putz around with.

Again thanks for your input. It can only make me better at this!

I still like that foam spider.smile.png

The middle fly looks like it is tied with either CDC (cul de canard) or the fluff at the bottom of the feather. That much CDC won't sink well, or, if it does sink, will collapse down to the body. The fluff will pretty much react the same way. The fly should fish well for bream as a top-water fly, looking like a fuzzy bug that has died on the surface. What it won't do is act much like a wet fly.

A wet fly, under water and in still water, will look pretty much like it does clamped in your vice,,,er vise. The hackle will stand out from the body and wiggle a little bit as it falls. When you retrieve it, the hackle will collapse back to the body and pulse when the fly comes to a stop. Your fly, under water, will have more of a nymph/small baitfish look to it.

Of course, this is all my opinion, and I could be wrong, lol. I very well believe that these would all three work very well for panfish. Keep up the good work, you're well on your way.

Kirk

Thanks again everyone for your comments. In my spare time I've made 3 more spiders AND a wooly bugger (I think). Even though it's simple stuff, it is fun to do and I'm looking forward to spring and a chance to try these flies out.

Good fishing to all!