Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

A custom built 7 piece 8 foot 3 weight.

I'm planning on building quite a few of these in preparation for this summer. These pack rods are pretty popular with hikers/back country fisherman in my area. They pack down to around 16 inches. This one has black single foot guides, and custom 1/4" checkerboard cork inlays. The med-fast matte green blank looks pretty slick too if you ask me. I thought I'd share here if anyone is interested.

20150207_181822.jpg

20150207_181601_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

20150207_181514_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

20150207_181453_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

20150207_181441_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

You stated, "... If anyone is interested." What are you asking for one. Nice looking wraps and handle ... I've never been fond of the matte finishes, though.

That is very nice. Not, unfortunately, in an appropriate size for the use I would want to put it to. Still me likey! Any chance of a 10' 5wt?

A note for anyone using one on a trip involving a flight. I was on a domestic flight a little while ago. I wanted to take a multi piece rod like that. I contacted the airline asking if I could take it in my cabin baggage? The airline told me that, for security reasons, I couldn't, it would have to go in hold luggage, which would then be classed as sporting equipment. They wanted £16 for each bag in the hold plus a surcharge of £28 for sporting equipment - each way (My total return air fair was only £42). When I arrived at the airport I spoke to the airport security. I asked about a multi piece rod in hand baggage they said "no problem". The moral of the story is do not trust the airline when considering taking one of these rods. Contact the airport security. The airline are trying to use security to generate extra revenue.

Cheers,

C.

I know you can take a fishing rod on an airplane. You might not be able to take a metal rod tube, however, since it can be considered a club weapon. Anything over 12 inches (about 30 cm) and metal is considered a "blunt object capable of delivering a fatal blow." When I had to leave a new combination wrench because it was too long, told them my leg was a lot longer than 12 inches and I could sure kick their asses into next week. Well, I WANTED to say that, but I didn't .... I needed to get to my destination more than I needed to spend a day or two in jail.

Thanks guys!

I'm selling them for $350 in my local fly shop, but I'm willing to sell them here without a rod tube for $200 plus shipping. If you want a brushed aluminium rod tube like the one shown in the photos, add an additional $35. That's what I pay for the rod tubes since I need to get them custom made in that size.

They can be fully customized to fit your liking. Grip design/size, thread wrap colors, guide style/color, etc can all be customized.

The best way to contact me is through email on my website. Just click the www.sierracustomrods.com link below in my signature, and you will see my email address on the home page. Feel free to browse some of my past builds under "portfolio" as well.