Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Request for help: Splitsville Beetle

I really like the look of this beetle pattern. Apparently it is tied by Jonny King.

Has anyone seen a step by step for this tie? I'd love to tie up a bunch but am struggling with the idea of how to get the foam tied in with the parachute post and poly under-wing.

orvis_ost_jonny_king_splitsville_beetle_

According to Modern Terrestrials, this is not a parachute but a Quigley style hackle-stacker. So just tie in shellback, dub body, tie in post, bring shellback forward, tie in wing and post, stack hackle and tie off at eye. Or at least that is how I would do it, without actually seeing an example. Nice pattern, might have to pick up this book now...

This type of hackling is also called a paraloop in Europe. I suspect that the "post" for the hackle is a loop of monofilament, with the hackle wrapped around the mono loop. A finger is then place in the top of the loop which widens the loop at the top, forcing the hackle wraps to slide to the bottom. Then the mono loop is pulled forward and tied off.

The best book is:

http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Flies-Paraloop-Way-Moutter/dp/0881505544

For ease of production I would do it differently.

To start with that looks like a grub hook to me, so that is what I'll use.

Start thread, tie in foam shell back, and dub the body material (I don't have anything on hand that looks just like that but dubbing is dubbing).

post-43582-0-72472100-1428517342_thumb.jpg

Wind the body forward to the wing tie in point. bring over the back.

post-43582-0-51093400-1428517364_thumb.jpg

Tie in wing and hackle. Leave plenty of tag end on your wing. (The Poly Yarn I have handy is straight fibred, Use what you like.)

post-43582-0-01417800-1428517388_thumb.jpg

Dub a little more body and wind.

post-43582-0-40232400-1428517412_thumb.jpg

Wind the hackle up the tag (forward section) end of the wing.

post-43582-0-08482800-1428517434_thumb.jpg

Pull the forward section of the wing forward over the dubbing to the head. Tie down with the thread.

post-43582-0-15372400-1428517457_thumb.jpg

Trim out the excess wing and hackle, and whip finish.

post-43582-0-65546200-1428517480_thumb.jpg

The advantage of this is the wing is tied in twice, You use less materials. You have a more substantial post to wind the hackle around. It is quicker to tie.

May not be exactly how it is done, but it is how I'd do it. Judge for yourself if it is close enough to the original. The body isn't the same dubbing the wing would be better with crinkly poly yarn, and I don't think that hook is quite right, resulting in a shorter body. Also I lost some of the hackle while trying to clip it for the photo but I think it conveys the techniques.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks again for the tips everyone.

Crackaig, I used your approach with a few changes:

-I dubbed all the way up before bringing the foam forward

-Used z-lon for the wing

-Tied off the hackle where I tied off the foam before bringing the thread forward to tie off the post and whip finish

I'll try to post a photo when I have a chance to snag one. Thanks for the tips - using the wing as the past was easier than tying in a separate thread!