Fly Tying
JohnWu

Got dr slicks, dropped em

I have interlocking rubber mats on the floor seems most things I drop with a point always stick; so far I've been lucky and nothing has gone through to the concrete underneath.

I'm in the JSzymczyk camp on quality scissors. I use a pair of Tiemco's that are over 20 years old. When I bought them, Charlie Craven admonished me to never, ever cut anything but thread and feathers with them. No fur or hair, not even yarn. I've followed that pretty well, and they've lasted 'til now. I only tie for myself, so they have a lot more years than miles on them.

The only problem is switching scissors fairly often. Using one scissor for most common tying materials would be a bit of an advantage.

Do you use the cheap, disposables for cutting most things? thread, feathers, fur, yarn, synthetics, etc ...?

I'm pretty frugal, but when I bought the Tiemcos, I hadn't ever heard of quality scissors for 80% less. Actually, I just looked on ebay and didn't find any serrated scissors for even half the price of a pair of American made Anvils.

replaceable tips

T120303.jpg

Are these intended to be held the whole time you tie?

Yes they are.

The needle is an enhancement advocated by A. K. Best in "Production Fly Tying". This way you have scissors and bodkin in your hand all the time. Dave Whitlock showed A. K. these scissors.

There was a good discussion on this forum a few years ago. Scroll down to Bryon Anderson's post. The thread covers the pluses and minuses.

replaceable tips

T120303.jpg

Are these intended to be held the whole time you tie?

Jfinn,

This is a picture of the Wiss Quick-Clip Speed Cutter; it was not originally made for fly tying at all, but for sewing. In answer to your question, yes, I believe they are designed to be held while doing other work--whether it be sewing or tying. They were popularized by A.K. Best for fly tying. The needle you see molded into the top was not part of the sewing scissor design. Best used to to epoxy a bodkin to the top of his. When A.K. had his own line of tying tools a few years back, Wiss made them with the bodkin molded in like that for his line. (Maybe they kept the design once they realized that fly tiers were using them?)

I used them for a long time and liked them for the replaceable blades and the way they tucked neatly into the palm while tying. They are spring-loaded, so they spring back open when you release pressure after a cut.

Bryon

Got dr slicks arrow points and they were great up till i dropped them this morning, and obviously they landed on the tips of course. Hadn't even had them 24 hours now one tip has a bend in it, I'm sure there is no remedy to this other than buying a new pair, just such a waste of money, RAGINNNN

Bad Karma

Got dr slicks arrow points and they were great up till i dropped them this morning, and obviously they landed on the tips of course. Hadn't even had them 24 hours now one tip has a bend in it, I'm sure there is no remedy to this other than buying a new pair, just such a waste of money, RAGINNNN

Bad Karma

Actually you might just try rubbing the bent tip on a sharpening stone to flatten it. Use a fine stone and some lube

Early on, someone suggested that you contact Dr. Slicks to see if they can help. I concur with that suggestion. Dr. Slicks is a small company that is very proud of their product. If they don't give you a free replacement, they may be willing to give you a discounted repair.

I'm told that they disassemble and fine tune every pair of scissors they receive from their suppliers, before packaging and selling them under their own brand name. I'm sure they have the skills to refurbish almost defect you can throw at them.

PHG beat me to it. Send them in ... you'll probably be surprised at the positive response you'll get.

Go on to their website they have a warranty form. Fill it out and send them in. They'll replace them. I sent in a set that I dropped they sent me a new set in about a week.