Fly Tying
vicrider

Mayflies are up for May's flies

Crackleback, Jolly Red, BassBugn, and Michael Ray, your flies were all waiting for me today. Like I said, Border Collies set a high standard for this swap but I'm going to tell this will be a bunch of flies to be proud of. So far we've got a variety of wings to enjoy from hackle tips, hair, Mallard Flank, and Wallys. For those with a chance to drift for surface feeders this will make a great addition to your boxes.

vicrider,

I'll be working on my over the week-end! Sorry I have been slammed at work...

add, being overworked in today's economy is great. There may have been some recovery but still way too many not on full hours and working for lower pay.

joseph, I have no reason to believe yours won't be another one of your great additions to the box.

vicrider,

Hope all is well your way! Saw on the news where y'all were getting hit really hard with rain, lots of flooding up there. I got my flies tied and I chose the Mohican Mayfly. I think they look pretty good but they might be a little big. I am not that good on small hooks yet. I tied these on a size 10. These are Texas size Mohican Mayflies. I will be mailing them your way Tuesday.

post-52478-0-31083500-1432502204_thumb.jpg

I traveled last week for business, leave for philly tomorrow, been a little stacked up, but almost finished with flies.

I'm taking my setup and envelopes with me to Philly, should be finished and in the mail by Wed latest!

I look forward to tying in my hotel room, beats watching TV ...

vicrider,

I actually got mine in the mail yesterday. I had AC problems at the house Tuesday so I was tied up with that. Glad it hasn't hit 100 degrees yet.

add147 came thru today with a nice extended tail mayfly. This is big enough for the biggest hatches and would also be a standout for those who have access to smallmouth streams or lakes. Great bunch so far and I have to go through them and see if I'm missing any names on the received list.

Hey guys, I wanted to post and apologize to all of you. I have been up to my neck (and more) in work this month and it's going to continue for 2 more weeks. It will slow down a bit, in some ways, these next 2 weeks and then things SHOULD get back to normal. But the thing is that I'm not going to get my flies done this month. I've discussed this with Vicrider and he has agreed to hold my flies for this month & I will send in 2 sets in June. So you won't be getting a fly from me this month, but I'll catch up next month.

But while I'm posting, let me ask you all a couple of question. What vise are you using? What do you like about it? And would you recommend it? I'm thinking about a new vise. I've been using a Danvise for several years and the main reason I bought it was affordability. But I'm thinking that there are probably some better vises out there, and I'm in a little better position, right now, to upgrade than I have been for quite some time. So, your recommendations would be appreciated.

Take care

BB

So others know, I will send the flies when in and include BB's in next month's swap or when he catches up with us. He's good for it.

Wow BB. A vise question. Almost as rare as a bike of "Can I use a car oil in my motorcycle".laugh.png laugh.png

I'll join in but if you use search you can keep busy for what little time you're not working. I have four vises sitting around right now and have sold a couple and donated a few in last several years. I've gone through the rotating vise phase and as much as some love it I don't. I don't mind using them for a lot of flies and it's nice to swivel to look at different sides but can't get used to trying to spin instead of wrap. I'm OLD. Also, when you're tying flies you want to put stuff on the bottom of the fly the hook neck is just in the way. Right now my main vise is the HMH Spartan and I like it because I can turn it straight to rotate when working on both sides and it keeps hook flat. I can put the allen wrench on it and tip it up and and have a nice vise that has nothing in the way of my left hand. Can still look at all sides but can't work on both sides since hook is not parallel to the earth.

I also have a Renzetti Traveler which is great for small flies and just put new vise jaws on it since it finally quit holding well. Only use it on 14-16 and smaller. My Peak vise gets some use for bigger flies where I want to rotate but not tying much on bottom. I bought and have a Mongoose on recommendation and to me it is a big, clumsy, overbuilt vise that I used a few times and put back in the plastic box it came in.

Hey Bream/Vic,

I use a Renzetti Traveler, and although I do love it, I echo Vic's comments about the neck getting in the way. Honestly it didn't start to bother me until I'd used it about 8 years. I'll stick with it for a while though. I had a couple of Dyna Kings, but prefer the Traveler. I still tie bass flies up to 3/0 hook on the Traveler and it works fine. I've been eyeing the HMH Spartan myself.

Now, flies: travel this past 2 months has been arduous. I've had fun taking my tying kit along but didn't get the time I thought I might have. Nonetheless, I finally got 'er done and flies are in the mail!

PS - I'm trying new CDC patterns this year; this bunch is a little inconsistent but I wanted them out the door ... :-(

It's an interesting deviation to a March Brown, I think I'm more comfortable calling it March Madness ... in May ...