Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SBPatt

DIY Gallows Tool

Since I started tying Hacklestackers, I tried a bunch of different ways to hold the post loop while wrapping the hackle (never did get the hang of the mono loop on the finger like Mr. Quigley tied it). Didn't feel like buying a gallows so I tried everything from bent coat-hangers to rubber bands on the Ott light that hangs over my vise. Rooting through the bins at Home Depot for another project, I found some nylon spacers that fit the vise shaft and figured they'd work as the base; just needed the right material for the hook part. Coat hangers are a bit thick and really don't have that much spring to them, same with all the spooled wire I could find. Thought about stuff like 304 spring steel wire, music wire, etc, then remembered the wire on those cheapy marker flags might work (grabbed one from the neighbor's yard - I'm sure they won't have any trouble finding those buried cables they're going to start digging around). The stuff is perfect - flexible, doesn't seem to have much memory, provides the right amount of tension, and is long enough that when it's bent and attached to the post loop, there's plenty of room to wrap the hackle without banging into it.

base - nylon spacer 3/8" I.D. x 1" x 3/8"

arm - 1/16" wire (from marker flag)

glue - 5 min epoxy

spacer; drill 1/16" hole

IMG_2522_zpsn86khsvy.jpg

flag (pull the flag off and clean up the wire with a little steel wool)

IMG_2541_zpsbb2r8uru.jpg

bend end of the wire into a hook

IMG_2525_zpstbxtz9jg.jpg

epoxy other end into the spacer

IMG_2524_zpstmyfhdh6.jpg

slide it on the vise shaft and Bob's your uncle

IMG_2526_zpsqp6q3g3u.jpg

IMG_2529_zpsyi9lt5se.jpg

IMG_2530_zpsubv9m6ic.jpg

IMG_2532_zpssvgvihsb.jpg

plenty of clearance for wrapping hackle

IMG_2533_zpsib7hnw0h.jpg

like so

IMG_2539_zpsfjcpf3i8.jpg

total cost - $.50 for the spacer

Regards,

Scott

I don't get it but I've never tied a "hacklestacker" so if I do some checking on them it might fall in place what it's for. I've seen setups for holding up parachute posts but that never seemed like something that's needed. In fact, when I looked at them I thought they'd be in the way for wrapping.