Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

A small review of the Griffin Montana Mongoose.

I just picked this vise up last week, and I am pretty impressed! It is a very well thought out design!

M2i4DK6.jpg

The Mongoose comes with a carrying case, C-clamp, pedestal base, and a few tools. Due to the unique design (the offset stem threw me off), I had to actually read the instructions to put the vise together.

Now, the reason I settled on the Mongoose was pretty much soley because of the completely adjustable material clip. Tying large articulated flies on my other true rotary vises (Danvise, Renzetti, Peak) are totally possible, but having a 6/0 hook flopping around gets annoying, and sometimes bloody. The Mongoose's material clip can be moved to hold a trailing hook at any length that I've tried. It holds strong too while I rotate the vise.

I custom built my fly tying bench years ago to accomidate the vises I had at the time. The threaded part of the Mongoose's c-clamp was about 1/2 of an inch longer than the c-clamps on my other vises so I had to hang it off the edge of the table...

BDSiC24.jpg

I ended up putting a 3/8 inch hole in the bench to put the stem of the vise directly into, and just omit the c-clamp all together. The stem fits tightly, and won't budge unless I put some power behind it. Perfect for now...

W4HvlsD.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the new vise! For the most part, I'm not tying flies better or faster, but the vise really is a joy to use! Don't overlook this one, especially if you plan on tying big flies at some point.

[snip]

Now, the reason I settled on the Mongoose was pretty much soley because of the completely adjustable material clip. Tying large articulated flies on my other true rotary vises (Danvise, Renzetti, Peak) are totally possible, but having a 6/0 hook flopping around gets annoying, and sometimes bloody. The Mongoose's material clip can be moved to hold a trailing hook at any length that I've tried. It holds strong too while I rotate the vise. [snip]

A very interesting point. Is the distance between the tip of the jaws and the stem really that much larger on the Mongoose than the Renzetti or Peak? For articulated patterns, I just put a rubber band on the trailing hook and wrap that around the rear of the vise to keep it out of the way, but I do not tie patterns as large as 6/0. Are these musky/pike flies?

[snip]

Now, the reason I settled on the Mongoose was pretty much soley because of the completely adjustable material clip. Tying large articulated flies on my other true rotary vises (Danvise, Renzetti, Peak) are totally possible, but having a 6/0 hook flopping around gets annoying, and sometimes bloody. The Mongoose's material clip can be moved to hold a trailing hook at any length that I've tried. It holds strong too while I rotate the vise. [snip]

A very interesting point. Is the distance between the tip of the jaws and the stem really that much larger on the Mongoose than the Renzetti or Peak? For articulated patterns, I just put a rubber band on the trailing hook and wrap that around the rear of the vise to keep it out of the way, but I do not tie patterns as large as 6/0. Are these musky/pike flies?

Not much of a difference at all in the distance from the stem to the jaws. All 3 vises are sufficient in that respect. The adjustable material clip is what really make a difference on the mongoose. You can move it anywhere it needs to be, put the trailing hook in the spring and you're good to go.

Yesr, musky flies.

Is the distance between the tip of the jaws and the stem really that much larger on the Mongoose than the Renzetti or Peak? For articulated patterns, I just put a rubber band on the trailing hook and wrap that around the rear of the vise to keep it out of the way, but I do not tie patterns as large as 6/0.

Exactly what I do on my Peak. There is more than one way to skin a cat.