Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

DIY Ferris Indicator

The New Zealand Strike Indicator is the Commercial version of the Strike Indicator Tool invented by Rudy Ferris.

I just made a DIY version using the instructions for the Ferris Indicator:

http://flylines.org/site/index.php/2013-12-09-12-23-23/the-ferris-nymphing-indicator-tool

My version is longer than the version in the instructions above. I used a very long needle from the yarn department at Hobby Lobby fro under $2. It was so long I had to cut off some of it. I like my version better because it holds more tubing. I can load larger diameter tubing on first and the thinner tubing will hold it on so I think it is more versatile.

The tubing is from an IV connector set. You can also use IV tubing but it is has a bit of a larger diameter and thicker walls.

Since I am an MD, I have no problem getting sterile IV tubing. If you know a nurse that works in a hospital, you can ask them to get you tubing from an IV set that has only had Normal Saline or Ringers Lactate solution run in it. NS and RL are sterile water plus replacement electrolytes and are the most common IV solutions so they are used by the hundreds of kits every day. When the patient does not need and IV line, the tubing is pulled and thrown away and that is what you want. Better is an unused sterile kit if they can manage it.

P1020676_zpsxwmzbouw.jpg

P1020677_zpsxgrsglyh.jpg

P1020679_zpsoxhfdole.jpg

While at Hobby Lobby, go to the beading section and look for Pony Bead Lacing which is a tubing. One mm inside diameter, 5 yds, two bucks. I used a nit picker from the same place for the needle.