Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

Saint Martin B+W Landscape

I prefer the shot in B&W (though I may have processed it a bit differently)...either way, thanks for sharing! Beautiful place.

This is not my original cold, I had to down size it alot for this website to view it well this is the shot just switched to monochromatic. The one I edited has a lot more contrast and deeper blacks, I applied a graduated nd filter to the sky to bring out the clouds, the leading lines and shapes screamed b+w, the fully edited version did not look right attached here, maybe I need to use a photo hosting site and post it right in the post.

I saw in one of the posts you do some photography yourself, how deep are you? My editing is done in Photoshop raw and silver effects when there actually edited lol thanks for the reply.

I'd hotlink to a high-res version on your SmugMug/Flickr/Zenfolio/Imgur account, really. Way less downsizing necessary, and Flickr and Imgur can be had for free. I think 500px allows free accounts too, not sure.

As far as "how deep" I am...eh...it depends. I've been on a long photography dry spell lately (shot a wedding in June and it kinda had me burnt out on all things photography once I finished culling and processing over 400 "keepers". That said, I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things this spring. I do have two rolls of Tri-X I need to develop too (though one is probably ruined due to my own stupidity).

For my editing, I use a ACR/Ps (CS5) process. I'm using a D300, so CS5 is still good for the files I'm outputting. If/when I eventually upgrade to the D500, I'm not sure what I'll do.

Hey Cold, nice to talk to fellow photogs. I have shot many weddings and still do only by special request, they are very stressful dealing with every aunt june who bought a dslr at Wal-Mart lol.

Anyway I shoot with a d7100 which I love as it has a built in teleconvertor. And the magnesium weather sealed body is very important, my glass is 12-24 2.8, 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 and a 300 f4.

Most often though that stuff stays home and I carry a fuji x100s fixed 23mm 2.0 which this photo was taken with, combine that with a Cokin filter system its hard to beat in a small package!

I mostly shoot for contests and have won several awards and had a local newspaper do an artical on one of my peices, I had a gallery in N.Y. want to show a few peices but I didnt have the time so had to decline.

I still shoot film as well I have a Canon ae1 program and Mamiya c33 medium format.

Here is a Landscape shot I took in Saint Martin recently, Very high atop a mountain. This chain of mountains separates two ocean/seas.

attachicon.gifst martin landscape 2 web.jpgattachicon.gifst martin landscape 2 web.jpg

That´s a really great shot :-) :-)

Terje

Thank you Terje, you have some amazing work yourself. What set up do you shoot with?

Thanks a lot :-)

I have a Nikon D800 and a few Nikon lenses :-) ....... Nikon 105mm f2,8 macro, Nikon 14-24mm f2,8, Nikon 70-200mm f2,8 and Nikon 300mm f2,8 VR1

Terje

Joe, if you are really serious about B+W I suggest you look into NIK Color EFX Silver Pro software. I may not have the name perfect but if you do a search you will find it. It's usable as stand alone ( last I knew) or as a plugin. If you want realistic B+W, like the old time stuff, with random and or blotched grain control, more depth, more contrast control, and real sepia, selenium etc photos, it's awesome software. It's all I used in my B+W portrait work but it will do scenery just fine. You would be damned well challenged to tell it wasn't an old medium format film shot once you learn the ropes. This is because it models old films and modern B+W films too. You get the grain structure of that film but then have control over how much you want of that in the shot. I used to convert color to an an old Agfa favorite of mine. You can get the free trial download, then decide if you can live without it or not. Your B+W's will never be the same again. It will take a little learning curve, yes it will, but IMO worth it.

I like SmugMug as well, to who ever said they like that .

Dave, yes ive used silver effects as a trial it is something on my list of things to buy!

I have a smug mug website with my own domain name they are a great platform.

Terje, that 300 2.8 is a hefty peice of glass, my 300 f4 is a pain sometimes!

It sure is, josephcsylvia :-)

It´s quite heavy but extremely sharp :-)

Terje