Fly Tying
IgotWood

Streamer Junkies

Steelheading in the Northern Midwest is at its best in late fall and early spring and there is often ice in the guides and some snow on the banks.

The real cold though is in the water. If you wade all day your legs do not really thaw out until under the covers in a warm bed for a few hours. A fall in the water or soaking rain -- also happens a lot -- can introduce you quickly to thermal shock too.

It is a younger man's game even with the comfort of a hip flask. I admit it now as i push on past the 70 mark.

Rocco

When I lived in NY I preferred night fishing for trout. All I used was streamers. I still use a lot of streamers. I like the active fishing style.

I have been night fishing for quite some time. It sure is fun! Many of the best fish I've caught, came on a streamer well into the night. This year, I was hitting fish at night up until Christmas!!!

Steelheading in the Northern Midwest is at its best in late fall and early spring and there is often ice in the guides and some snow on the banks.

The real cold though is in the water. If you wade all day your legs do not really thaw out until under the covers in a warm bed for a few hours. A fall in the water or soaking rain -- also happens a lot -- can introduce you quickly to thermal shock too.

It is a younger man's game even with the comfort of a hip flask. I admit it now as i push on past the 70 mark.

Rocco

I used to have Thinsulate and neoprene waders and still the cold would eventually get in. But they fought it off for quite some time. I don't own those any more and I'll be 66 in April. My waders these days are more geared for summer use. Spring fishing in waders starts when the midges get going but it's more likely to happen in my boat the more we get from April on.. I might do a quick half hour at a time sooner in waders but at this age I find when I get cold I stay that way LOL. Still every spring there is a point in one particular pond where big browns tend to hang out. Getting there is a shore line walk around a cove, where you don't need to go more than ankle deep. Once there you need to wade out to about crotch deep and cast to either side of the point or even straight out to deeper water. Taken in 15 minute intervals in the 38-40 deg water and if the morning sun hits there it is tolerable. And the walk back to the car keeps circulation up. That is like a March into early April phenomenon with slowly warming water and increased hatch activity as time moves on. I look forward to it every year. There is another guy who likes the same spot and he drives much further to get to it than I do and he has neoprene waders, so some days I let him have his peace over there. I can go any day, I live right in town. We both have been fishing that spot for probably 35 years in the spring time.. We have similar beliefs, interests and fishing ethics, he's a nice guy.

I fish straight through the winter. I am a real b**ch in the cold. I dress appropriately, and I choose my days. As long as it get above freezing, and I don't have to pick ice off my rod all day, then I'm good. Most important, FEET! Silk socks, and a thick pair of wools over the silk. Second most important, HANDS! I prefer Orvis Barbour fingerless gloves. They are, by far, the best gloves I've worn! They get wet, you shake them off and put them back on. Because they're cheap, I usually carry two pairs, and swap them out half way through the day.

I fish straight through the winter. I am a real b**ch in the cold. I dress appropriately, and I choose my days. As long as it get above freezing, and I don't have to pick ice off my rod all day, then I'm good. Most important, FEET! Silk socks, and a thick pair of wools over the silk. Second most important, HANDS! I prefer Orvis Barbour fingerless gloves. They are, by far, the best gloves I've worn! They get wet, you shake them off and put them back on. Because they're cheap, I usually carry two pairs, and swap them out half way through the day.

I used to do mid winter fishing back when i was in my late thirties and early forties.This is New England,never know around here if there will even be open water. Lacking those insulated waders I don't have much interest anyway. I used to use wool fingerless gloves, they worked very well. These days, really I'd just as soon build a new rod for the same or less money as the waders might cost. Or go in the basement and turn some wood on my lathe. Fishing is less than two months away LOL !