Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicente

thoughts on this flure

The problem I always had with lips on diving bugs is when lifting for the next cast, the bug just wants to dive deeper. The diver I finally came up with is looks like a crippled minnow laying on it's side. It dives with very little pull but will turn over with too much, making it shoot out of the water for easier back casts. They are very easy to make.

post-20375-0-04243500-1457238235_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-45193700-1457238480_thumb.jpg

Just used craft foam for the body? Looks pretty simple I might try a couple of those.

I haven't had any trouble with mine diving to hard when I'm trying to pull out for another cast, they only run 1 ft or so down.

I use the craft foam with glitter on it, 2 layers. I make the whole thing, then put the hook in it. The hook has the 2 barbs to hold plastic worms better and I wrap thread there and add glue before I put the hook in. They will only last for a few fish but are real easy to make.

Yea your bill comes off a more slanted angle than mine do, also thinner body I'm guessing making them dive a little stronger. I'm fishing mine with a fast 8 weight to I could see it being more of an issue with a softer rod.

If you would like to try one I'd be happy to mail it out I have one without paint made up just need to make sure it swims ok before I mail it.

I am using "wobbler-flies" with a plastic lip for 20 years. I fish with them a lot, especially when the water is not clear. Very efficient flies.

A small fly could attract a big predator. My record - 50+ pound fish with a #4 fly a little over 2" long (see the pic attached).

More details on different types of the wobbler-flies see here:

http://flyfishingrussia.com/posts/408dea70-wobbler-flies-1

http://flyfishingrussia.com/posts/d5788f6b-antiwobbler-1

http://flyfishingrussia.com/posts/5732108b-belly-up

post-34261-0-32235400-1459078027_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-18493300-1459078043_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-49789100-1459078691_thumb.jpg

I'll going to try making some of those FFR, probably use a soda bottle or something for the lip since I don't have any syringes handy. I could see them working really well on brown trout out here.