Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Baby Tarpon Hooks?

I think that baby tarpon hooks should be circle instead of a normal J hook configuration. But of course I am uncertain.

What would be the best size and best model (ex. mustad 34007 size 2)

*These are meant for tarpon 5-50lbs*

Thanks!

Looked for what you are talking about, and I think I know what you mean. Be sure you know the difference between a circle hook and a hook with just a slightly upturned point. Tarpon flies all do have the upturned point a bit - most likely to keep the hook hold good since tarpon are notorious jumpers - but they are not circle hooks. These style of hooks also are good for driving into bony mouthed fish, which I believe is applicable to tarpon too.

Something like the Tiemco 200SP would be my choice if I were tying tarpon flies. I tie some saltwater flies on them and I think they'd probably be good for whatvyoure doing. Can't help you with the size though, have never fished for tarpon before.

Lots of choices though.

I've got some 600sp that I've tied a couple on and they look descent. I have yet to fish themore though.

A good all around short shanked hook for tarpon is the gamakatsu SC15, there pretty strong and come in all sizes. I've also had no problem catching 30 inch tarpon with the same mustads that you use, didn't bend them or anything crazy like that.