Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TroutRuleBassDrool

Dry Flies and Wings

I prefer tying standard patterns to receipe regardless of size. I have fly boxes full of experimental flies where I deviate from the pattern and use them as test flies for my own enjoyment. When tying almost any wing, ensure that you give it a good base and wrap each wing individually as previously mentioned. One thing that aids me in this tremendously is a rotary head vise so that I can tilt each wing or post up as I wrap its base. Also, go to a smaller diameter thread and you will be able to use more wraps without building un unnescessary bulk and still being able to tie your fly very securely. If you are crowding your head then recheck your proportions and move your wing starting point aft or increase your shank length until you master the fly. Tying a couple of dozen of the same pattern greatly enhances the ease and structure of your fly, guarantee number 24 looks much better and goes together faster and easier than number 1.

I made some underwater photos for an article some months ago and wings was really evident. I think that in slow water they are important.

When I learn how to post photos I'll put some of them.

Federico.