Fly Tying
bulb

back pain @22 yrs. . .

Wait till you get to be twice that age, you'll find all sorts of neat little pains that you never had beforesleep.png Latest fun one for me the past couple years is sciatic nerve pain. Not sure if it's something I've been getting because I spend so much time sitting while building rods every day or what the reason is but lately it's been getting really bad to the point of not just pain in the hip/rear but also down my right leg. Have tried stretches, heat, moving around every 15 minutes and while some of that gives very temporary relief it comes right back. The joys of getting older.

Also, I use a standup desk at work with a comfort pro gel mat that I stand on. The adjustable desk by steel case is expensive but for me was worth it.

I am seriously thinking about requesting one at work. I sit most of the day in front of two screens and that can't be good.

This is probably not relevant, but I thought my spine was hurting. Pain running down my leg. What was causing it was my wallet with a lot of plastic in it, back when I was spending time on my computer. Slimmed down my wallet and the pain disappeared. Worth a try.

Yes this has caused or at least not helped my back out, my chiropractor bright it up I skates try to take it out of my pocket when driving or sitting for an extended period of time.

Wait till you get to be twice that age, you'll find all sorts of neat little pains that you never had beforesleep.png Latest fun one for me the past couple years is sciatic nerve pain. Not sure if it's something I've been getting because I spend so much time sitting while building rods every day or what the reason is but lately it's been getting really bad to the point of not just pain in the hip/rear but also down my right leg. Have tried stretches, heat, moving around every 15 minutes and while some of that gives very temporary relief it comes right back. The joys of getting older.

I'm 28 and just started getting the sciatica, at least what I think is sciatica through reading about it. Started back in December with a burning or pulled muscle feeling on the back side of my left leg, progressively getting worse each day until about 3 weeks after it first started and I woke up and couldn't get out of bed. I mean pain like you wouldn't believe. Wouldn't wish my worst enemy ever go through it. I blamed it on the way I sat up in bed against the pillows slouched watching tv or on the computer each night after tying. Now after reading these posts it's got me thinking maybe it was my posture at the tying desk. Which I tied at literally every night for about a year straight (I'd hide from the gf and get away as things took a turn for the worse in our relationship). Now that we broke up and I had to move back home with the parents last month I have no room to tie which is fine with me since the sciatica makes it hard to sit up in any position for even 15 seconds.

Anyways, not having health insurance I did a little research and depending on whats causing the sciatica there are a few stretches you can do to alleviate the pain. If it's the muscle in your leg causing it then try these leg stretches on this site I found. There's also plenty of videos out there with the same and similar stretches.

http://www.healthline.com/desktop-article/back-pain/sciatic-stretches?m=0&variation=nolb&lazyloadscrolldepth=40&stickytimetlb1=2&stickytmr=tmr22,tmr23,tmr24&stickydepthtmr={%22tmr22%22:125,%22tmr23%22:%20125,%22tmr24%22:%20125}&lazyloadviewportperad=tmr27:300/tmr28:300/tmr29:300/tmr30:%20300/tmr31:300/tmr32:300/tmr33:300/tmr34:300/tmr35:300/tmr36:300/tmr37:300/tmr38:300/tmr39:300/tmr40:300&rwd102#Besafe6

Those didn't work for me as I learned after trying them for about a week. That's when I realized it must be a bulging disk or something like that causing it. I remembered a youtube video I had watched (which I didn't bookmark, sorry) that said to lay flat on your stomach and then go up on your elbows keeping your arms straight up and down from your elbow to your shoulder and thus making your back arch. Kind of looks like you're thrusting your pelvis into the ground while supporting your upper half with your elbows. Hold that for 30 seconds is what the video said I believe, but I did it for about a minute. Even just laying flat on my stomach would take away a lot of the pain and that is all I do a lot of times if I'm really hurting. It hurts for about 10 seconds for me then it relaxes and i lay there flat for as long as possible, sometimes up to 20 minutes. I know that initial pain is everything settling back into place. That's what you're doing when you go up on your elbows; you're pushing your lower disc back in to where it should be is what the video said if I remember correctly.

Sorry for the lengthy post and not having any help for the op, unless he does have sciatica, but I know the feeling with that damn sciatica and I thought I'd share what works for me and hopefully can help someone else on here if they're going through it. I hope to be able to get health insurance soon and maybe I can get it looked at and corrected because from what I've read it sounds like I have it bad and will need surgery. And I'm glad I saw this post so that when I go back to tying I can try a few different things to see what works for me to alleviate the pain

Yoga ....especially if you can find an instructor knowledgeable in therapeutic yoga. Will help with posture and strengthening the core body muscles ....some back pain is a result of weak stomach muscles. The effects of foam rollers and a baseball or lacrosse ball used in the correct manor and location will ease a lot of pain and tension in the back.

ev8d- Seems my sciatica is a bit different than what yours from what you described. Mine hurts more when I stand than when I sit down. Bad pain in the right side of my rear end and into my hip, then down the side and back of my right leg to about my knee. Been an ongoing thing for the past few years but seems to be getting a bit worse the older I get. I've been doing stretches for it for a couple years now. Main one that helps is laying on my back and bending my right knee then crossing my right knee over my left side as far as I can. Only problem is the relief from the stretching is very temporary for mine. Seems to help for about 5-10 minutes after doing it then it's right back to the pain again. Joys of getting older I guess, but beats the alternative.

For now, I am going to wait for a tier, that must, or does, produce flies to make their living, address this post.

Though I do not make my whole living from tying these days, I did a few years ago. Up to 10 hours a day at the vice. Of course, I would get up to move a few times during that. That is when the advice I gave was developed. These days it is rarely more than 6 hours in any day, nor is it every day any more. I don't believe the change in my circumstances since I tied full time has any effect on the advice that I gave, which was based on what I learned when I did.

Cheers,

C.

For now, I am going to wait for a tier, that must, or does, produce flies to make their living, address this post.

Though I do not make my whole living from tying these days, I did a few years ago. Up to 10 hours a day at the vice. Of course, I would get up to move a few times during that. That is when the advice I gave was developed. These days it is rarely more than 6 hours in any day, nor is it every day any more. I don't believe the change in my circumstances since I tied full time has any effect on the advice that I gave, which was based on what I learned when I did.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks, C.. Your advice has helped me quite a lot, even when I only tie around 3-4 hours at most. I move frequently and do all the rest with streching, standing to prep materials, etc. The benefit was gained by improving my position At The Vise.

Pain would develop after time, so when it set in I would move, etc. Back to vise for 10 minutes and pain was back. After following your suggestions no pain even developed. I still take breaks, etc., but if forced to tie for 8 hours, I could do it handily now. I am grateful for your advice and thank you again for helping me, hopefully some others, too!

Hey all thanks for input, experience and ideas, found a new way to tie that worked for me. I don't tie at a desk at all, but instead sit in a armchair with the vice on a tray in my lap. I propped it up with a boardgame box to not have to bend my neck so much. With a pillow or two supporting the lower back i have alot less backpain. Now im in NZ living the truoutbum life however, seven weeks solid fishing and 18 rivers later, still going strong. Will make a lengthy post about the trip when i get home but that isn't until mid july. . .

tight lines all /H

Ahuriri%202.7%20kg%202017_zpsu3neicyl.jp

post-55995-0-95230400-1489803021_thumb.jpg

I know this is an old post, but how about just get up and move around before the pain gets to you?? I deal with the results of three separate service related back injuries every single day, and a combination of exercise, stretching, being acutely aware of how I move, and also aware of how I sit makes life tolerable most of the time.Surprisingly, the two most comfortable places for me to sit are the driver's seat of my Outback, and the AirProMax seat in my kayak! :)I always kind of chuckle at the "oh my back hurts after I've been sitting tying for an hour" complaints... get the F up and move around some! Unless you're in an african sweatshop tying commercial flies, there is nobody forcing you sit for long periods in front of your vise.

Personally, I agree with most of this, but there may be aspects involved here, of which Joel is not aware. ...

In the interim, kayak drivers, perhaps you would post or send me a link to that seat information, especially Hobie owners that may have done a retro-fit or replacement of their factory seat.

Carry On....

oh, the one thing which I am ACUTELY aware of, is, I am not aware of most things. My point of view was from a "Fly Tying causes my back to hurt" perspective- not a general million-other-reasons vantage. I'm too literal most of the time. As the old saying goes, if I got up and nothing hurt, I would think I was dead.

The AirProMax seat is a Wilderness Systems product designed to fit certain Wilderness kayaks. It's had a share of problems being retro-fitted to particular kayaks since it was introduced a few years ago. I've not heard of it being used in other brands of kayak. All the major players in the fishing kayak world make a version of a "lawn chair" seating solution, and they are generally a huge improvement over stationary seats.

Bulb, that is a good fish and Joel, I checked out your AirProMax and see why it works and you find it very comfortable. Will look more for a Hobie- friendly option, planning to use it much more this year. My kayak is a 2005 model, pedal drive and subsequent models appeared to have better seating design.

Thanks, men

fishing kayaks have come a LONG way since 2005, for better or worse. that's a topic for a different day though. Bulb hope things are good and your trip to NZ comes with only enough hardship to be memorable. When you're old, you don't tell stories about the easy times....

Back before autocad I spent a lot of time (mechanical design) bent over a drawing board, and I'd get bad upper back pains between the shoulder blades. My late wife was doing some shoulder therapy and commented about this to the therapist. Therapist asked if my jaws popped. Yes, a condition I've had sorta forever. From 50 miles away and with just this brief exchange with my wife, she solved my problem. I was holding my head forward. I started paying attention and sure 'nuf, I kept my head pulled back to some normal position and I never got back pains again. Started again a few years ago after losing the wife. Cooking and cleaning up the kitchen means bending a bit for me, and I fall into the old pattern of head forward with the old results. Pain drives me away until I get my back straightened out for a while in my recliner, but no problem if I pay attention. Hope there's something in this that helps a little.

If I quit my job, can I come stay with you? I want to be a trout bum too.

Hey all thanks for input, experience and ideas, found a new way to tie that worked for me. I don't tie at a desk at all, but instead sit in a armchair with the vice on a tray in my lap. I propped it up with a boardgame box to not have to bend my neck so much. With a pillow or two supporting the lower back i have alot less backpain. Now im in NZ living the truoutbum life however, seven weeks solid fishing and 18 rivers later, still going strong. Will make a lengthy post about the trip when i get home but that isn't until mid july. . .

tight lines all /H

Ahuriri%202.7%20kg%202017_zpsu3neicyl.jp

Cheers JSzymczyk back home now, had a blast. SILKHDH ran out of money so had to round off my trip but you should try it sometime, if you buy a car and sell it before leaving your costs go wayyy down :)