Fly Tying
Lucian.Vasies

Would you use these nymphs?

Perdigon Nymphs - Would you use them?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im with you mike a bad day ice fishing is a lot worse than a good day at work

The bad day fishing beats a good day at work is something I've never understood. Is not normal for me but good day at work can mean 1k$ assuming I give the I don't want to do it pricing and everything goes right, bad day of fishing, the canoe tips over you lose everything and end up with a fish hook someplace you don't want it to be.

Vicente, That is very true. I am allowed to tie flies at work which is awesome. So, I guess for me a bad day fishing still would beat a good day in the classroom LOL

... the canoe tips over you lose everything and end up with a fish hook someplace you don't want it to be.

There's your problem, Vicente. A bad day fishing ... repeat FISHING ... is better than a good day at work.

What you described is a bad day, period.

No fishing involved once that boat goes over ... so that rules out "a bad day fishing" part of the adage!

Hi guys,
A few info for those who don't know about these flies. Perdigon name is coming from the Spanish word "perdigones" -means lead shot.
The Spanish fishermen ( especially competitors ) invented these nymphs ( nymphs with a head made of lead shots). In Spain the river are fast and very fast flowing. Catching a trout is difficult and demanding. The fishing pressure is extremely high, they practice C&R almost in all rivers . They say that all trout from rivers know all fish from all fishing catalogs :) . Anyway is not simple at all to catch fish in those rivers. Nymphing is more easy to catch fish and when we talk about nymphing is lust fishing line, a long parallel leader of 5-9m and the nymph. No strike indicators like are used in USA. Nobody use those indicators, maybe a piece of colored nylon of 20cm at 2m from the first nymph to help the fishermen to locate the leader.

What is so particular at these flies:
- easy to tie
- small
-very heavy.

Reasons:
- catching educated fish in fast flowing rivers
- smallest sizes because an educated trout will take more easy a small nymphs
- very heavy to sink fast in feeding area.
- easy to cast in front of the fish without making a splash ( just figure how is presented a nymph in size#10-12 with a beadhead of 3.5mm in one meter in front of the fish... )

Perdigon nymphs should have a slim body. A coated body with resin will help the fly to sink faster. Also a big bead and a slim body made of thread will help. These nymphs are kind of "pimp" flies because these nymphs work as stimulator.
Another particularity is the black point on the neck/bead of the fly. Because very often these flies are tied on size #18-20 is difficult to tie a thorax and wingcased so the black point imitate it.
About "frenchies", these nymphs are in range of #16-22 size. These nymphs are used for ninfe a vue means you locate the fish and cast the nymph in front of the fish, present the fly in a special way to induce the attack.
The "genuine" frenchie nymphs are these bellow and are used by French fishermen located in the Alp mountains from border with Switzerland.
16649396_1915201122043052_24917026714224

Cheers,
Lucian

I don't really like the looks of them, but if they work and catch trout, I would use them. They kind of look like some sort of party favor.

Joe

This is all on me but I don't like them, tie them, or use them --cuz I do not buy ready made flies.

Why not? For trout, I am a nymph fishing addict so why not?

Pure set in my ways, old fartism explains most of it!

Also I can't like them despite their indisputable effectiveness in part on aesthetic grounds. Garish ET scat comes to mind.

Also, that they work on trout also painfully drives home the unwelcome fact that trout are really dumb. And that explodes my enjoyment in 'fooling them'. with life- like or even suggestive imitations of their daily fodder. Might as well use spinners.

Thus spake the Geezer.

Rocco

very much resemble "thread jigs" that are a most common "trout bait" in the Ozarks, ours are mostly white sewing thread though, and generally fished under a bobber. Sure I'd give 'em a try even if they are funny colors.

flyfishingteamusa.jpeg

Devin took a person bronze medal at the 2015 World Championships held in Bosnia. Team USA took 2nd place in 2015. Lance Egan is also on the USA Team and took a personal Bronze medal at Vail. Devin and Lance were the highest scoring members of Team USA at the World Championships in 2015 and 2016. Devin and Lance Egan have a new DVD on European techniques called Modern Nymphing - European Inspired Techniques. I received an advance copy of the DVD from Devin. I can personally recommend it for anyone interested in this style of nymphing.

A bit belated, but still ...

BRAVO ZULU Team USA !!!!

Damn proud of all of you !