Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Great looking fly!

How does it cast? I tied a big bass streamer once with a bunch of bullfrog dubbing and it was a real struggle on a 5wt. When it was wet.

Yeah it's not easy on a 5wt, but who fishes bass and pike on a 5wt? It's fine on my sage method 6wt...

Sorry. Did not mean to do a Capt. Obvious. I just wonder if the Arctic Wind sheds enough water to make the fly noticeably lighter than a similar all bull frog fly.

I'm still using a lot of bull frog... Arctic Wind will shed water much better, however I only really use it as accent colors on this fly. Most of it is tied with Bull Frog..

Err... me? :)

Rio (or other brands of which I am not aware) intermediate or sink tip attachment could help with the soggy materials issue. I am very often amazed when I swim test a fly that is mostly bouyant dressings, and still casts like a wet sock :(

Err... me? smile.png

Rio (or other brands of which I am not aware) intermediate or sink tip attachment could help with the soggy materials issue. I am very often amazed when I swim test a fly that is mostly bouyant dressings, and still casts like a wet sock sad.png

Yes, this is one of those, its buoyant and light, but once you put it in the water, the outer casing soaks up water (the center of the fly stays pretty dry though and keeps its buoyancy pretty well). It will cast a bit more difficult than say a clouser minnow or something... But, like you said, there are some good fly lines that do cast larger, heavier flies pretty well. There would be no pike fly fishing without the ability to cast large, heavy and wind resistant flies... HAHA

McFly, check out my pictures in the Inconoclastic Irreverence thread, in the Lodge forum, as I think you meant to say "... pike fly {rod} fishing..."

Just saying there are a lot of ways to present flies to the fishies ;)