Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lambertjohna

Fly Fishing Rod Recommendations???

I would go 5 or 6 wt especially if you're going to do some bass by fishing, I have a 9'10 4wt, and it's a great today but I have mostly stopped using it any time there's a chance I'll be catching good sized bass anywhere near cover as I've lost several good fish due to the rod just being too soft, I almost always finish my 9'6 7wt for bass now.

I really recommend checking Steve/steeldrifters work out here could build you a great looking and fishing rod for a reasonable price.

Cabela' Big Horn complete outfit on sale for $100. I think it's a good way to start out. I know some folks hit or miss experiences with Cabela's lower end rods. I have a couple of the Three Forks models. I am completely happy with them. An 8 foot 4 weight is very versatile. Don't expect any 4 weight to throw large flies or large streamers.

The line weight is your main limitation when it comes to the size of flies you can cast. A three weight is going to be a challenge to cast anything much over an inch. Weighted flies will also be challenging. I love fishing light rods. Just be aware of the limitations of light line weight and heavy flies. I have 2 3 weights and use them more than my 5 or 7 weights. If I'm primarily bass fishing, or throwing streamers, I go with the 7 weight. Weighted nymphs or float/fly I use the 5 or(or the 7 in bigger water). Additionally, I like my cheaper rods. They're typically slower action. Fits my casting stroke a bit better.

If you are picking one rod to fish a bunch of conditions I don't understand the push for a 4 at, I own and fish one regularly however there are also a lot of occasions where it is not enough rod, bass fishing near cover, big trout, if it gets windy if I want to throw a 4 inch rabbit streamer etc. If your only getting one rod it doesn't make sense to get one that is so often going to be smaller than desired, a 6wt will fish small flys or on a nice calm day just fine far better than a 4wt will fish a large streamer or into a headwind.

If you are picking one rod to fish a bunch of conditions I don't understand the push for a 4 at, I own and fish one regularly however there are also a lot of occasions where it is not enough rod, bass fishing near cover, big trout, if it gets windy if I want to throw a 4 inch rabbit streamer etc. If your only getting one rod it doesn't make sense to get one that is so often going to be smaller than desired, a 6wt will fish small flys or on a nice calm day just fine far better than a 4wt will fish a large streamer or into a headwind.

but panfish and stocker trout are much more fun to catch on a lighter rod. He said the occasional bass. I took that as if he's fishing for trout and panfish and happens to see a bass, he'll cast to it. Most typical trout and panfish flies are fine on a 4wt. If they primarily want to fish medium to large streamers, a rod 5wt or under would be too light.